VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Possibly Dumb Questions About The Process

Rate this question

mcarter985

Question

Good Morning,

I have an appointment at the end of this month at the VA hospital to attend a PTSD clinic where I think I start the process of getting my initial diagnosis for PTSD. The appointment, I'm told, will take 3-4 hours. That's all I know about it. So, a couple of questions...

1) Can I expect a diagnosis right away (if I have it)? I have no doubt I do (medic in Viet Nam in 1969-70). It seems I need a diagnosis before going to the local Vet Center or VA hospital for treatment.

2) I see a lot of posts where vets go through multiple C & Ps. Is this normal?

3) Finally, I intend to finally get treatment but will the VA wait for a C & P until there is a history of treatment?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Sorry to hear of your troubles bud. If you are asking if you will be diagnosed with PTSD, I think so in my opinion, as I am SC at 70% for PTSD. Once given a diagnoses, then submit a claim for PTSD, and I think it will be granted. Now at what %, don't know bud. Good luck and keep us posted

Sorry to hear of your troubles bud. If you are asking if you will be diagnosed with PTSD, I think so in my opinion, as I am SC at 70% for PTSD. Once given a diagnoses, then submit a claim for PTSD, and I think it will be granted. Now at what %, don't know bud. Good luck and keep us posted

Thanks US VET. How long did the process take for you?

1). Usually you are diagnosed after completing the initial evaluation. As a medic who served in a combat unit, you should have no problem being diagnosed with PTSD.

2). If you have multiple conditions, it is not unusual to undergo multiple C & P exams. If you have a medical condition become worse and file a request for an increased disability rating, you will usually receive another C & P exam.

3). No. Once you enroll in the VA healthcare system, you can start receiving treatment for your diagnosed PTSD. In fact, you will need these treatment records to show the level of disability when you file your claim. NOTE: You have to be diagnosed by a VA doctor for a successful PTSD claim.

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

1). Usually you are diagnosed after completing the initial evaluation. As a medic who served in a combat unit, you should have no problem being diagnosed with PTSD.

2). If you have multiple conditions, it is not unusual to undergo multiple C & P exams. If you have a medical condition become worse and file a request for an increased disability rating, you will usually receive another C & P exam.

3). No. Once you enroll in the VA healthcare system, you can start receiving treatment for your diagnosed PTSD. In fact, you will need these treatment records to show the level of disability when you file your claim. NOTE: You have to be diagnosed by a VA doctor for a successful PTSD claim.

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

Thanks Georgiapops! I do have a heart condition (had a heart attack in May) that I was just rated for 60%...probably caused by a mix of Agent Orange and PTSD. I'm happy with the 60% and just want to keep things simple (and possibly faster).

Don't know why my response was in the "quote" box. Probably an operator error!

Edited by mcarter985

My case is different, as I was Medically Retired last year for Crohn's and PTSD along with TBI. I was SC a few months after I was Retired.

MC: I was DX PTSD by VA 2010. Saw an outside PTSD Psychologist for 4 months in summer of 08, ran out of $'s. My VA primary Care Dr asked me on numerous occasions questions about PTSD Symptoms in 09, but never really made a DX. Early 2010 a VA Sleep Department Clinician told me after 3 sessions that he thought I had PTSD and to go see my Primary care and get into a PTSD program. Did 1 questionnaire with PC DR,referred to Mental health Dept for another questionnaire. The Mental health Nurse that administered the questionnaire asked me if I wanted group therapy or to see a Psychiatrist. I opted for the group and within a month or two I filed a PTSD claim.

I have only seen 1 VA Psychiatrist and that was at my PTSD C&P that took place around 05/2010. 11/2 hr exam, at end I asked if I had PTSD, he said yes and that was it. Compared what I could remember about the exam questions and my answers against the 38 CFR 4. Figured I would come in at about 50%. I was surprised when I was rated at 70% SC. Continued with the PTSD group meeting till end of 2013. The general consensus among the Mental Heath clinicians at the VA is that long term PTSD isn't going to be cured in us old dogs. Way to many years living with it. They want to help us understand and hopefully be able to cope with the symptoms. Turns out it's not just the Vet but also his family that suffer the symptoms of PTSD.

After you finally have your C&P, about a week later pull the C&P exam report (DBQ) from your VA Hospital Medical records Dept. Ask for all the clinician notes associated with the PTSD C&P.

Good Luck

Semper Fi

Gastone