VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Possibly Dumb Questions About The Process

Rate this question

mcarter985

Question

Good Morning,

I have an appointment at the end of this month at the VA hospital to attend a PTSD clinic where I think I start the process of getting my initial diagnosis for PTSD. The appointment, I'm told, will take 3-4 hours. That's all I know about it. So, a couple of questions...

1) Can I expect a diagnosis right away (if I have it)? I have no doubt I do (medic in Viet Nam in 1969-70). It seems I need a diagnosis before going to the local Vet Center or VA hospital for treatment.

2) I see a lot of posts where vets go through multiple C & Ps. Is this normal?

3) Finally, I intend to finally get treatment but will the VA wait for a C & P until there is a history of treatment?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Have u filed your claim for PTSD yet?

No and I know I should (since the claim date marks the start of compensation) but I'm having a bit of a hard time starting all of the forms my VSO gave me. I don't like revisiting that period of my life. I'm taking off a few days this week and my goal is to start it up.

No, please don't rush filing your claim.

It is MUCH, MUCH more important To get all the evidence together for a solid claim so hopefully you will be approved on your first try.

Many veterans try to rush filing it to save that elusive claim date, only to submit a half ass claim and get denied, and wait in appeals for three years or more.

There are two ways you can save your claim date right now.

If you have an E benefits premium accounts you can click the link that says "apply for benefits". There you can start a claim for disability compensation. Get the claim started and save your date, BUT DO NOT CLICK SUBMIT YET.

The second way is to tell your VSO, if you have one, to send a letter to the regional office, That you intend to file a claim and would like to save your effective date. Make sure he gives you a copy of this letter. Then you would keep a copy for yourself and send a copy to the regional office along with your claim package.

Either of these options will save your claim effective date, but not actually submit your claim, giving you time to get your evidence together. They go by the month and year, so You have until the end of this month to save this month as your effective date.

At a minimum, I would wait to "submit" your claim until you have a official ptsd diagnosis from VA.

Edited by NavyWife

No, please don't rush filing your claim.

It is MUCH, MUCH more important To get all the evidence together for a solid claim so hopefully you will be approved on your first try.

Many veterans try to rush filing it to save that elusive claim date, only to submit a half ass claim and get denied, and wait in appeals for three years or more.

There are two ways you can save your claim date right now.

If you have an E benefits premium accounts you can click the link that says "apply for benefits". There you can start a claim for disability compensation. Get the claim started and save your date, BUT DO NOT CLICK SUBMIT YET.

The second way is to tell your VSO, if you have one, to send a letter to the regional office, That you intend to file a claim and would like to save your effective date. Make sure he gives you a copy of this letter. Then you would keep a copy for yourself and send a copy to the regional office along with your claim package.

Either of these options will save your claim effective date, but not actually submit your claim, giving you time to get your evidence together. They go by the month and year, so You have until the end of this month to save this month as your effective date.

At a minimum, I would wait to "submit" your claim until you have a official ptsd diagnosis from VA.

I had no idea I could do that on eBenefits...I'll do it this week for sure! Thank you so much!

Edited by mcarter985