Rating Question

USMC3024

Question

I had two C&P exams for my claim; one was for Tinnitus and the other for PTSD. I completed my Tinnitus exam on 10/03/2014; the doctor stated my hearing was excellent; however I still have ringing in my ears triggered by loud noises. Is it still possible to receive a rating since the DR told me my hearing excellent? My PTSD exam was 10/07/2014, I feel the exam went well, we spoke about my experiences and how they effect me, the DR seemed to hint that I had met all the requirements layer out for PTSD. My questions are how does the VA rate PTSD when the C&P examiner most likely will be more detailed in my PTSD triggers and effects then what I have reviewed on MYHEALTHEVET from what the VA doctor’s have written. From my experience the VA doctors do not put all of the information and make what I say to them better than what it is when they write up their statements after our sessions. Also, does anyone know how long I may have to wait for a rating if my exams are done? I understand that it is different for every claim, I’m just fishing for some different timeframes from people. FYI both my exams were contracted out through VES. I appreciate everyone’s time and assistance, this has been a crappy ordeal and leaves me with the impression the VA sugar coates everything I have said to them about my daily life (Anger, marital issues, nightmares, not sleeping). Again, thank you.

Hearing loss and tinnitus are two separate medical conditions. Most people with noise induced high frequency hearing loss also have tinnitus. However, you can have tinnitus and little or no hearing loss. I do not believe they will give you a rating for tinnitus unless it is constant. Periodic ringing in the ears will not be rated. The highest rating you can receive for tinnitus is 10% whether it is in one ear or both ears. When considering your claim for hearing loss or tinnitus, your military occupational specialty or classification is considered.

For example, a artillery battery member will have a better chance for a successful claim than a clerk with little or no noise exposure.

You did not indicate how long ago you were discharged. The amount of time that has passed since you were discharged will be a consideration for a hearing loss or tinnitus claim. You must show a nexus or connection between your tinnitus condition and your military service. If you have been out of service for several years and have been exposed to loud environments (hunting, concerts, etc.) since your discharge, a successful claim will be more difficult because rating officials will probably try to attribute your hearing loss or tinnitus to your latest loud noise exposure.

In regards to your PTSD, try to get a copy of your C & P exam. Review your C & P exam report as well as any PTSD medical records. Using the info cited in the exam and your medical records, compare them with the rating requirements detailed in the mental disorders section of 38 CFR part 4. The responses shown in your exam and in your medical records should give you a rough idea of a possible rating for your PTSD. As far as predicting how long the claims process will take, it varies and is totally unpredictable. Anything I would tell you would be a WAG. Just try to be patient. JMO

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

Semper Fi.

I appreciate the response. I enlisted after 9/11 and was honorably discharged in 2006. While deployed to Iraq I was around daily outgoing artillary fire as well as incoming mortar/RPG rounds. I had not previously nor since worked in an environment where I was subjected to loud noises. The C&P exam was scheduled through VES, and from what I have read I'm not able to get a copy of my results untill after my claim is completed since the DR who conducted the exam is outside the VA. My biggest concern is the PTSD issue because I have gone to the VA and met with the doctor's there and the omit infomation. It feels as if they are not listening to what I'm saying. The doctor through VES was great, it was difficult having to explain how I feel and the expereince that occurred overseas, but at least he was attentive and did not make me feel like a number. I don't know I'm fustrated with this whole process as I know a lot of others are. It is great to have a sounding board such as this forum. I appreciate your info georgiapapa.

Oohra!

georgiapapa thank you for the information. I joined the Marine Corps shortly after 9/11 and was honorably discharged in early 2006. My claim for Tinnitus was due to my exposure to constant artillery fire and incoming mortar/RPG rounds while deployed to Iraq. I would like to know if anyone has been able to obtain a copy of their PTSD C&P exam findings from non-VA Doctor prior to their claim being finalized? From what I have seen posted it is unlikely that I would be able to get a copy of C&P as it was completed by the VA. Any thoughts?

I agree with Georgia, also every state RO has different time frames. I had my 8 C&Ps almost a month ago thru a VES clinic too. Out of my 3 claims, and over 30 C&Ps, this was the first time thru a VES. From what the folks on here have said is that it is very hard if not impossible to get the Exam Reports, which really help to tell if we will be granted SC and what % awarded. My claim went to Prep for decision last week, then on Monday it changed to Pending Decision Approval. So there really is no definite time frame. This process drives us all crazy bud. Good luck and keep us posted.