VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating Question

Rate this question

USMC3024

Question

I had two C&P exams for my claim; one was for Tinnitus and the other for PTSD. I completed my Tinnitus exam on 10/03/2014; the doctor stated my hearing was excellent; however I still have ringing in my ears triggered by loud noises. Is it still possible to receive a rating since the DR told me my hearing excellent? My PTSD exam was 10/07/2014, I feel the exam went well, we spoke about my experiences and how they effect me, the DR seemed to hint that I had met all the requirements layer out for PTSD. My questions are how does the VA rate PTSD when the C&P examiner most likely will be more detailed in my PTSD triggers and effects then what I have reviewed on MYHEALTHEVET from what the VA doctor’s have written. From my experience the VA doctors do not put all of the information and make what I say to them better than what it is when they write up their statements after our sessions. Also, does anyone know how long I may have to wait for a rating if my exams are done? I understand that it is different for every claim, I’m just fishing for some different timeframes from people. FYI both my exams were contracted out through VES. I appreciate everyone’s time and assistance, this has been a crappy ordeal and leaves me with the impression the VA sugar coates everything I have said to them about my daily life (Anger, marital issues, nightmares, not sleeping). Again, thank you.

If I remember right, according to the newer regs/criteria,

an initial C&P for PTSD must come from VA - I do not know if this

would include coming from a contracted examiner, but it probably does.

Just saying.

From my research it appears that my initial C&P exam is vaild due to it being conducted through VES:

The Initial Examination for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder must be conducted by a VA psychologist or psychiatrist certified by the VHA Office of Disability and Medical Assessment (DMA) to evaluate veterans for this purpose. However, note that the definition of "VA psychologist or psychiatrist" includes psychologists and psychiatrists in private practice who conduct C&P exams for a company that has contracted with the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) or the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) to provide C&P exam services on behalf of the VA. Companies with current VBA or VHA C&P exam contracts include Veterans Evaluation Services (VES),

My ebenefits jumped back to gathering of evidence last Friday. I called Peggy to see what was going on, but they gave me the usual "we can't speculate what happened", but they said they didn't see that anything else was needed from me. I am hoping maybe someone is just reviewing it before they send it out. I knew that quick jump last week was too good to be true.

It is true that an Initial DBQ for PTSD must be completed by a VA Psychologist or Psychiatrist, however, if the veterans has been already diagnosed with PTSD by his VA or private Psychologist or psychiatrist, then an Initial DBQ is moot. The Initial DBQ is used for veterans who are first time patients in a VA clinic and have never been diagnosed with PTSD. There have been many cases when a veteran simply files a claim for PTSD and is given a C and P, whereupon the examiner will do the Initial DBQ for PTSD. Any Clinical Psychologist or Psychiatrist, or those under their supervision can do a Review DBQ for PTSD or other Mental Disorders can be completed by a private practitioner. I do them all the time, and was formerly and C and P examiner for the VA. There are exceptions to who can and cannot fill out certain DBQs:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_FAQs.asp

Which DBQs are not available for use by private providers?

A: There are no DBQs for the following medical examinations:

• Initial Examination for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Hearing Loss and Tinnitus
  • Residuals of Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Cold Injury Residuals
  • Prisoner of War Examination Protocol
  • Gulf War Medical Examination
  • General Medical Examination for Compensation Purposes
  • General Medical Examination for Pension Purposes

Patrick428

My ebenefits jumped back to gathering of evidence last Friday. I called Peggy to see what was going on, but they gave me the usual "we can't speculate what happened", but they said they didn't see that anything else was needed from me. I am hoping maybe someone is just reviewing it before they send it out. I knew that quick jump last week was too good to be true.

Peggy called me on Friday to verify my bank and dependent information so I'm hoping that my claim and retro will be completed soon. I have not seen a change in eBenefits as it was down for a day over the weekend. I'm still pending notification. I'm patiently waiting to find out what my rating is. the waiting is the crappiest part.