VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denial Stage 1

Rate this question

Guest terrysturgis

Question

Guest terrysturgis

I have been denied the first stage of my SSD claim. I have an attorney and I am not comfortable with the way she acts. She came off the National SS site. I know I need to appeal in 60 days and when I called because it's half gone her assistant said that I am on the list and they will get back.

Can I change the attorney at this stage of the process? Thanks. Terry Sturgis

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
I have been denied the first stage of my SSD claim. I have an attorney and I am not comfortable with the way she acts. She came off the National SS site. I know I need to appeal in 60 days and when I called because it's half gone her assistant said that I am on the list and they will get back.

Can I change the attorney at this stage of the process? Thanks. Terry Sturgis

when I called because it's half gone her assistant said that I am on the list and they will get back.

Don't understand what's half gone? As for changing attys, you can change anytime. If you haven't signed a fee agreement or contract you should owe nothing. However, if a fee agreement or contract has been signed already, you would owe for services and expenses up to this point. Are they just reviewing your claim or have you signed a fee agreement? As for the 60 days, you can send SS a letter requesting a 60 or 90 day extension, while you locate someone to represent you.

pr

Guest terrysturgis

Philip, Sorry for the way I said that statement. To clarify, over half of the 60 day deadline has passed. There are 2 1/2 weeks left to file so I called and that is when her assistant told me I was on her list to call when she gets the time. Yes I have signed the fee agrement. Thanks. Terry Sturgis

You need to tell the assistant that you have been denied and you need to file before this date, and you want to set up an appointment.

That's all I had to do, but I live in Wisconsin and had Donald Becker who does just SSD Claims.

Good Luck!

John's Wife

• HadIt.com Elder
Philip, Sorry for the way I said that statement. To clarify, over half of the 60 day deadline has passed. There are 2 1/2 weeks left to file so I called and that is when her assistant told me I was on her list to call when she gets the time. Yes I have signed the fee agrement. Thanks. Terry Sturgis

Terry - I'd call her and speak with her, directly. She's being paid very highly for her services and if her assistant won't allow it then I'd get another atty. Most of these attys have paralegals that do most of the work and screen their calls. In the mean time, if you are concerned, send SS a letter requesting an extension. jmo

pr

Guest terrysturgis

Her assistant called today at 3:30 and said my appeal information was well writen and the forms for appeal are in the mail today. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

Terry

Stick with it Bro! You know you have to be a pest to get anyone to do anything. If you have a gut feeling that something is wrong it probably is wrong. From the way you have described your disability it is just a matter of time until you get your SSDI. I don't know why some claims sail through and others drag. I know the VA gives away nothing especially on PN, if they rated you as high as they did you have a great case with SSDI. There are many, many lawyers who do SSDI work.