VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate Cancer?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

hello everyone,

I have a question about prostate cancer.

.I am TDIU P/T with a service connected Disability from my Vietnam days as a Vietnam combat veteran (68/&69. for profound hearing loss and speech dificulity

My question is this..I am a little concerned!

I went to my primary Dr at VAMC..About a year ago as I go every six months to get my meds renewed ..I was told a year ago that I have a swelled prostate...I have problems urinating & dribble (sorry) and the Dr put me on some prostate meds which don't seem to be working been taking the meds a year now...I know I need to mention this to my Dr and I will as soon as I can...do anyone else have this problem? no one in my family has had the prostate cancer as for as I know?

I am in the A.O. Registry (Agent Orange)

I was reading about agent orange and I was exposed to it back in Nam but this has been 45 46 years ago...Could I file a prostate claim &claim it was from the AO? if they tell me I have it? beings I am already TDIU P/T?

I Know I won't get any more compensation $$ wise but maybe up my ratings.

I know I need to be diagnosed with it first... just asking while I'm in my right mind.

Any comments or opinions welcome

Thank you in Advance for your time.

God Bless

• HadIt.com Elder

Gottcha Buddy!

I don't know what happen to that VA Dr either,?

He clearly made some errors.

Edited by britton

Prostate cancer is an agent orange presumptive disease. If you have been diagnosed with prostate cancer, submit proof of your diagnosis along with proof of your service in Vietnam and you will be service connected for the disease.

I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, another agent orange presumptive disease, 42 years after I left Vietnam and I had no problem with my VA disability claim.

If you have prostate cancer, I would suggest filing an FDC claim.

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

• HadIt.com Elder

what is FDC? & If I have it in your opinion what should I do?

Thank you georgiapapa

FDC is a fully developed claim. You can find info regarding the FDC at the VA website and on the Hadit website. FDCs are usually completed quicker than standard disability claims.

Whether you file or not is a decision you need to make on your own.

Since you are already 100% P & T, would you want to risk your current ratings being reduced if you file a new claim?

Note: When you file a new claim, all of your current service connected conditions are open for review.

Would the additional rating for prostate cancer actually provide you with any additional compensation?

If you don't file a new claim and you die from prostate cancer before you have 10 years in at 100% P & T, could your wife receive DIC?

Note: If your death certificate shows your death was caused by any agent orange presumptive disease, including prostate cancer, your wife should be able to collect DIC benefits after your death even if you never filed for prostate cancer and even if you did not have 10 years in at 100% P & T. She would have to file a claim for DIC with proof of your death from an agent orange presumptive disease and proof of you service in Vietnam. JMO

Hopefully this helps you, if you were diagnosed with an enlarge prostate that does NOT mean you have prostate cancer.

I have had an enlarged prostrate since I was 24 due to an accident I am 42 now. There are many benign factors, as well as trama that can cause an enlarged prostate I suggest you research the subject so you can see if anything you are ingesting is causing it (Night Quill is a big cause of enlarged prostates).

Thats all the good news.

Now for the important part you are now in a increase risk for prostate cancer. Take it serious get your check ups every year now, do not listen to people or doctors that tell you it is a slow developing cancer. Doctors have missed finding the signs in physicals, as always you are your own best advocate take it serious.

If you were diag with enlarged prostrate you can breathe a little easier, I am not saying you do have cancer just that a enlarged prostate is not prostate cancer hopefully this is the case for you.

But make sure you get a clean bill of health from doctors.

• HadIt.com Elder

oic ok thanks buddy

I been getting TDIU P/T Since 2003 retro back to 2002.

I'm not sure I have prostate cancer or not? just that its been bothering me a lot ...I need to get check out more, The VA Doc said my prostate was swelling causing my urination to act up....on meds for it now called Tamsulosin & Finasteride.

Had a colostomy < can't spell it two years ago but not sure that's for the prostate...but other cancers and I was ok had a few pollops was all.... they got those (hopefully)

I sure hope I don't have the cancer...claim or no claim don't do me any good if I'm dead..but I understand what you mean about the spouse DIC.

Thanks Again georgiapappa

Edited by britton