VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate Cancer?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

hello everyone,

I have a question about prostate cancer.

.I am TDIU P/T with a service connected Disability from my Vietnam days as a Vietnam combat veteran (68/&69. for profound hearing loss and speech dificulity

My question is this..I am a little concerned!

I went to my primary Dr at VAMC..About a year ago as I go every six months to get my meds renewed ..I was told a year ago that I have a swelled prostate...I have problems urinating & dribble (sorry) and the Dr put me on some prostate meds which don't seem to be working been taking the meds a year now...I know I need to mention this to my Dr and I will as soon as I can...do anyone else have this problem? no one in my family has had the prostate cancer as for as I know?

I am in the A.O. Registry (Agent Orange)

I was reading about agent orange and I was exposed to it back in Nam but this has been 45 46 years ago...Could I file a prostate claim &claim it was from the AO? if they tell me I have it? beings I am already TDIU P/T?

I Know I won't get any more compensation $$ wise but maybe up my ratings.

I know I need to be diagnosed with it first... just asking while I'm in my right mind.

Any comments or opinions welcome

Thank you in Advance for your time.

God Bless

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you Dduck...I need to get check out the VAMC I go to don't seem to help much like you mention they over look some things...I may go to a private Dr see what they say?

I nerver thought it could be what ya eat or take...I'll sure research it.

I am 62 just filed for SSR.

Thanks Buddy

Edited by britton

No problem and like others have said it is presumptive of AO with is nice for older vets.

I have dealt alot with the prostate over my years, a friend of my was diagnosed with cancer, his private doctor missed it and his VA doc found it. Moral: get two opinions. Also get your lab tests and look at your PSA's if your are curious I haven't seen or heard of a doctor not following up on high PSA's so if they aren't worried that is a good sign but information is your friend. If you have to get cancer this one is a good one to get, the surgeries here in WA at UW are having high rates of success not causing any ED problems.

There are alot of holistic things you can try that help a large amount of people. I never recomend that stuff but a good google search will tell you of the main types. In my experience it pretty much only helps people that had enviromental factors that cause the enlargement.

To be honest get adult diapers or pads whichever is more comfortable it will help alot. If you don't you can start getting sores in your butt crack and thighs. Sorry to read about the problems.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks guys I sure will get a second opinion...

one reason they checked my prostate I mention my tribble to them...I was going for a 6 month check-up when you go do labs and 2 hours later see the Doc but they never mention my PSA's other than say everything looks ok......I ask the VA Dr about my PSA's and he showed me on the computer if anything was high or way off it would be in red lettering...I ask him if there was a ''specific blood test to check for my prostate he said yes and ordered one and that test checked ok too..so maybe its not cancer.

kinda private here sorry.... but I can't ejaculate either it feels like I do but nothing comes out...maybe a little but not as much and more liquefied...is that something to worry about? should I tell my DOC?

Thanks everyone I appreciate this info...Only thing the last time I went my primary Doc of the last 10 years or so He transferd to NC and I had to see a female Dr...not there's anything wrong with it just makes me bit nervous is all.

This is all at the VAMC.....BUT I'm going to get an appointment soon with a civilian private IMO Dr about this.

And go to the VAMC and get my medical records & check my PSA's and take them to the IMO Dr

Thanks again Everyone!!!

Yeah a whole host of problems can cause you to have your sexually condition, from the prostate to diabetes that is a question you should bring up with your doctor. Do your research quick internet searches (but take all of that with a grain of salt just good for asking questions during your doc appt).

I have seen quite a few urologists (all men) until my current which is a female. She by far the best surgeon and has pretty much saved a good portion of my life by sending me to a nephrologist in time to help save what kidney function I have left. When the others couldn't be bothered to look beyond thier scope over a 14 year span she was the first to suggest I go.

Don't let a doctors gender cause you much grief, you may just get a great doctor (but gender doesn't really determine that either but no sense cutting down the odds).

Great advice by DDuck.