VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate Cancer?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

hello everyone,

I have a question about prostate cancer.

.I am TDIU P/T with a service connected Disability from my Vietnam days as a Vietnam combat veteran (68/&69. for profound hearing loss and speech dificulity

My question is this..I am a little concerned!

I went to my primary Dr at VAMC..About a year ago as I go every six months to get my meds renewed ..I was told a year ago that I have a swelled prostate...I have problems urinating & dribble (sorry) and the Dr put me on some prostate meds which don't seem to be working been taking the meds a year now...I know I need to mention this to my Dr and I will as soon as I can...do anyone else have this problem? no one in my family has had the prostate cancer as for as I know?

I am in the A.O. Registry (Agent Orange)

I was reading about agent orange and I was exposed to it back in Nam but this has been 45 46 years ago...Could I file a prostate claim &claim it was from the AO? if they tell me I have it? beings I am already TDIU P/T?

I Know I won't get any more compensation $$ wise but maybe up my ratings.

I know I need to be diagnosed with it first... just asking while I'm in my right mind.

Any comments or opinions welcome

Thank you in Advance for your time.

God Bless

• HadIt.com Elder

oh ok...as for as the female Dr that don't bother me to much as long as she is good at what she knows ,,, its just that I always had a male Doc just somewhat uncomfortable but but its fine your correct Gender is not a problem...I Hope to get this solved soon or try to at least...worries me, thinking bout it..but maybe things will be alright.

Oh as for as filing a claim, I probably won't just getting some advise and info in here... I was just curious if AG had anything to do with it or getting the cancer

Thanks DDuck!

Advice for claims is the speciality of this site, as for the medical advise I wasn't being curt I would strongly advise people to NEVER take medical advice from the internet.

You have very valid medical questions and they need to be addressed and I would get two seperate opinions if it was me on whether I had cancer or not. I tried to offer very guarded optimism that your enlarged prostate is most likely benign but you NEED to get that information from a doctor ASAP nothing to mess around with.

As for the claims advice:

Voiding dysfunction

Rate particular condition as urine leakage, frequency, or obstructed voiding. (I think its under {38 CFR 3.321(a); 38 CFR 3.321 (b)(1)})

Continual Urine Leakage, Post Surgical Urinary Diversion,

Urinary Incontinence, or Stress Incontinence:

Requiring the use of an appliance or the wearing of absorbent

materials which must be changed more than 4 times a day: 60

Requiring the wearing of absorbent materials which must be

Be changed 2 to 4 times a day: 40

Requiring the wearing of absorbent materials which must be changed less than 2 times a day: 20

Basically get a Urologist and Rx Diag the condition. You would have to have it tied in to the AO. I am out of my element on that because my was trama related. I am sure it wont be easy but I do not thing people can say it couldn't happen.

I am going to put a package together later this year, I guess I will look into the connection to AO and how to file a claim for that. I was thinking more of concussive force trama for victims of IEDs that my info would help but I think it could help AO vets also. If there is a interest I could tie it in.

• HadIt.com Elder

oh yeah DDuck I understand what you mean about all this and all what you say here makes sense ... I appreciate this site and its members, I realize this is a site for advice and I hold no one liable ..and the medical conversations are just that were just talking about it from one Vet to another what kind of questions to ask the Dr, and about how to win your VA claim/claims I don't have anyone to talk to about this and I appreciate each and everyone of you guys & gals Here at hadit

..I need to see a Dr to get a diagnose.

I will get second opinion...I will be more specific with the Dr's & ask more question's ...

This site and the members such as yourself are great...I realize what you guys are saying and DDuck has some great information....and I know he will win his claim with his prostate problem.

If I have it or have to use a material that needs change 4 times a day and all the things DDuck mention I probably will File an A.O. I Check and it is in the AO Regeristry about prostate & different problems altho its a presumption from AO....Back in my active duty days over in Nam..

I like advise and read opinions from other vets its why I come in here, I understand what DDuck mention about medical advise using the internet....to me my fellow Vets are like Brothers & honor there friendship & trust.

Thanks in Advance

I glad it was received as it was intended, I am not much of a talker so things can get misconstrued I think.

I totally understand when things go wrong with your plumbing people cant imagine the problems that a person can have that most people take for granted. As men this is a part of our makeup that can really take a hit mentally. There are people that are going through what you are, you are not less of a person or man.

Ill leave you with story you can understand and maybe feel better. Some of the worst parts for me, with leakage was when I was about 28 four years after my accident, I didn't tell my wife that I was leaking in my drawers (I use to shove TP in my drawers to try and absorb most of it). She would always buy me white undies (they were cheaper she said), so when I would go the the gym I would always have big yellow stains and others would look right to it. I would make a sarcastic statement and just stare at them until they felt uncomfortable, but inside it embarrassed me, and I felt dirty. I would throw them away go commando to the store and buy another package of the same white underwear.

I told my wife that story a few years ago, and she always wondered why we were always a few hundred dollars short in our checking every year that she couldn't account for and why my undies never seemed to wear out. We laughed pretty hard, and she even told me for years she would recommend that brand to her friends for their husbands because they never seemed to wear out.

That is one small part of plumbing problems, but I guess you can count your blessing that it hopefully happened later in life?

Take it easy I wish you the best.

Dan

• HadIt.com Elder

That's Funny DDuck,,,,,I know what ya mean...I have the same problem....only my better half accuses me of getting into big hurry zip up to soon ect,,ect,,, when she goes to wash & finds the (yellow stains) but now were both worried so idk? just have to ask the Doc about this, my appointment is next month....the prostate meds I'm taking don't seem to be helping? taking them for a year now.

I tried the TP also don't work to good for me.....

I hope we you and I and other vets out there can get this problem solved but if you had it for all those years don't sound to promising to me......keeping clean is a me when I change my underwear I take a shower each time usally 2 to 3 x daily but it sure is getting tiresome.

Thanks for your story I got a laugh out of that one...LoL

If it is still in your prostrate u are lucky,, If gets out of prostrate to bones/lungs/glands major major problems stage 4. I have stage 4, first thing they do after Biopsy and confirmation is start you on Lupron then depending on your MD it can be radiation/chemo or some ZYTIGA medicine. The heart breaker is the Lupron shot, minimum effect is hot flashes...major is bye bye sex life. I am in a trails program at Or Health Science (OHSU med school)Zytiga has taken Prostate score from 15.00 down to .025, recently score has started back up again. My neighbor just finshed up a Lupron and Radition treatment. NO SIGN of cancer now, but it is still body.

LLoyd