VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate Cancer?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

hello everyone,

I have a question about prostate cancer.

.I am TDIU P/T with a service connected Disability from my Vietnam days as a Vietnam combat veteran (68/&69. for profound hearing loss and speech dificulity

My question is this..I am a little concerned!

I went to my primary Dr at VAMC..About a year ago as I go every six months to get my meds renewed ..I was told a year ago that I have a swelled prostate...I have problems urinating & dribble (sorry) and the Dr put me on some prostate meds which don't seem to be working been taking the meds a year now...I know I need to mention this to my Dr and I will as soon as I can...do anyone else have this problem? no one in my family has had the prostate cancer as for as I know?

I am in the A.O. Registry (Agent Orange)

I was reading about agent orange and I was exposed to it back in Nam but this has been 45 46 years ago...Could I file a prostate claim &claim it was from the AO? if they tell me I have it? beings I am already TDIU P/T?

I Know I won't get any more compensation $$ wise but maybe up my ratings.

I know I need to be diagnosed with it first... just asking while I'm in my right mind.

Any comments or opinions welcome

Thank you in Advance for your time.

God Bless

Britton: There is plenty of hope they service connected me in 2011 and then TDIU this year back to 2011. My problem was that I never filed a claim until 2008 after I was MEB'd in 1998. In my 2008 claim I just claimed prostate problems and didn't go into detail, I just expected them to see the records and add it to my claim I figured I get 10% and was fine if they did. Problem was they connected me for 0% and because they did that it exceedly pissed me off. Which led me to my 2011 claim and this board which was instrumental in my success.

Through out this process I found that the VA isn't out to get anyone, it is a full fledged bureaucracy and if you treat it as such you will get results especially with a history of medical evidence. I have run into VA docs that quite frankly should not be working because they hate their job and it reflects on service rendered. I also have had fantastic docs, but this is the same in private medicine I found. So your claim shouldn't be too bad it is just getting the medical evidence together.

Lloyd: Man brother I truly am sorry for your situation, my prayers will be with you for tonight and as long as I can remember to put you in them. I am very glad you were able to put your information in this thread. I hope and pray that your cancer can be beat with no returns. Too many people believe prostate checks can wait.

I talked earlier about my friend that was diagnosed with prostate cancer his doctor told him to wait on the surgery go on a cruise and relax there was no hurry. I argued with him for a month and basically told him get the surgery ASAP or he was a idiot. He was pissed but scheduled it, after the surgery (removed the prostate) the same doc was dumbfounded as the biopsy of the removed prostate show it breached the boundry and we are in a waiting game a year later to see if cancer indeed left the prostate. So far nothing after two scans but who knows.

Edited by DDuck

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks DDuck

After I see the VA Doc I'll know more not sure if I'll ask the doc to say this was caused from AO...Or help with my claim..

I'll use an IMO for that..I don't trust the VA Dr's anymore. I may not fiile claim on presump AO? IDK?

I am hoping they can tell me what's wrong with my prostate? because so for yes I been very lucky.

Lloyd, sorry bud your having so much problems and been/going through what you been through hang in there buddy things will get better

Thank you for sharing this...I will say a prayer for ya buddy& Thank you for your service

Edited by britton

I understand very well anyone who as not served cannot know. Even if you didn't tell me what happened with that doctor I would have highly advise not asking any VA doctor or employee about ties of current conditions to service at best you will get a vague answer at worst you risk alienating them.

Get your treatment make sure you get a second opinion on your prostate outside of the VA if at all possible. Make sure to use the pads they help I am very thankful for them now.

Like you said that is why this site exists, AO is presumptive so get your treatments get two clean bills of health on the prostate and soon as you get to a good place file for the prostate under the AO you should be good. Remember you now are at higher risk for prostate cancer I would recommend getting yearly workups on that from now on.