VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Happens When You Put In A Claim For Tdiu?

Rate this question

killemall

Question

Basically I meet the requirements.

Im currently unemployed and I have a 50% rating for hearing loss and a 10% rating for tinitus. They are both from the same group and combine to 55% and round up to 60% by VA math.

I also have shoulder and wrist disabilities that have my overall rating at 70%.

This all became effective in September 2014 (last month)

Tdiu was not inferred in my BBE.

I feel that I meet the requierments but aIm afraid to take the plunge.

Specifically Ive herd that when you apply for tdiu that they make you do c@p exams. Im quite happy with my 50% rating for hearing loss and Im afraid that if I have to do another c@p for my hearing loss that my rating for hearing loss could potentially be reduced. It could just aslikely be increased however I would hate to mess up a good thing.

So is that how it works? Do I have to do c@ps all over again if I claim tdiu or am I getting bad information?

Thank you for any help

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

C&P definitely will happen. You also have to show proof that your disabilities prevent you from gainful employment. Not wanting to work usually wont cut it. I'm not trying to be a douche, just looking out for ya. I just got it and i can say it isnt nearly as hard as you think. It would be helpful if you are getting SSDI as well. SSDI, will help greenlight your TDIU in most cases.

Expect a C and P exam. You will have to show how your SC disabilities prevent your from obtaining Substantial Gainful Employment. Assuming you are not working, how long has it been since you worked? Do you think your SC conditions preclude working? If you do, then file for TDIU. If not, then dont. You know way, way, more about you than we do, so we have to rely on your judgement.

Hearing loss will be one of the most difficult for VA to reduce. Why? Because its a function of the Maryland CNC numbers, which have already been determined. Do you think another audiologist will give another set of numbers? Mine has been consistent for 15 years with about a half dozen different audiologists. As long as you are not faking your hearing loss, you should be fine. You see, if you gamed the audiologist, then those numbers wont be able to duplicate them. Oh, and by the way, VA audiologists are trained and spot someone faking hearing loss a mile away. It even says something to that effect, in some of the VA propaganda literature. The VA audio will test you twice...and its suspicious if your numbers dont match. As usual, honesty is the best policy. If you were honest, you have nothing to fear. If you want to "check" just in case you had tinnitus or something like that at your audio, well you can easily go to a private audio, who will give you a hearing test for free if you ask. (They want to sell you hearing aids). Then, compare the report to the VA audiologist. I did this because I thought the VA audioligist was under reporting my degree of hearing loss. Not so. It was consistent with the private audiologists, however, I have gradually lost more of my hearing.

Yes, do what john999 says. Go get a letter from a vocational rehabilitation counselor. Either one from VA or find one in the phonebook and pay for an appointment. They need to state that "you are unable to work solely due to your service-connected disabilities ". Take your medical records with you showing your disabilities. This will make it simple for VA to approve you for TDIU.