VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu..c@ps...possible Reduction?

Rate this question

killemall

Question

Basically I meet the requirements.

Im currently unemployed and I have a 50% rating for hearing loss and a 10% rating for tinitus. They are both from the same group and combine to 55% and round up to 60% by VA math.

I also have shoulder and wrist disabilities that have my overall rating at 70%.

This all became effective in September 2014 (last month)

Tdiu was not inferred in my BBE.

I feel that I meet the requierments but aIm afraid to take the plunge.

Specifically Ive herd that when you apply for tdiu that they make you do c@p exams. Im quite happy with my 50% rating for hearing loss and Im afraid that if I have to do another c@p for my hearing loss that my rating for hearing loss could potentially be reduced. It could just aslikely be increased however I would hate to mess up a good thing.

So is that how it works? Do I have to do c@ps all over again if I claim tdiu or am I getting bad information?

Thank you for any help

• HadIt.com Elder

if your hearing loss prevents you from working or being gainfully employed sure go for an increase ask for the TDIU,

You probably will get sent a letter from your RO for you to go take a hearing test & it will be a comp & pen.

I would go get an IMO First if I was you and before you go for your comp & pen... to see if your hearing as got worse since your last hearing test...your Dr or your RO will probably have that test to review! comp & pens are not that bad just relax and tell the truth..if your 50% rated for hearing loss back then and your hearing has got worse by al means file for an increase.

Thank you for serving.

A 50% hearing loss rating means your hearing loss is very severe. You probably can not understand most conversations. My hearing loss is only 10%...I can not understand hardly any children, many women, and can only understand men with deep voices who speak loud and annunciate well. I can not watch TV without closed captioning or a listening device, about 90 percent of the time. Any fan motor will drown out conversation. I have a close caption phone..supplied by VA, as well as hearing aids. You will know if your hearing tests are not right.

I can only understand my wife if she is within about 8 feet of me when she speaks. If she is in another room, then she may as well be speaking chinese. Even then, I dont understand her with lots of background noise, or if she has something in front of her face, such as her hands.

Edited by broncovet

I would review decisions by the Board of Veterans Appeals that are similar to your situation. These appeals can be a gauge as to how you should proceed with your own TDIU claim. I do believe you run the risk of a drop in rating with the hearing loss IMO. FYI, I don't have hearing loss but, I do suffer with severe Tinnitus. The VA may use hearing aids as the reasoning behind a potential drop in the rating......again IMO.

Edited by MPsgt

Broncovet....yea my hearings really bad. My scores were duplicated a tleaste four times and actually the va scores were a lil better than the other private Drs.

My va scores were nearly 60% for hearing loss. But I fell into the 50% rating.

The thing I fear is not me ears...but a new audiology dr. They can be very hit and miss. Most of them are like hey....this guys been wearing hearing aids since he was 22 and over the past 12 years theres been a negative shift every three or four years...no brainer.

Then some have been very cruel and scolded ect. Just repeat the word!!!!!!!

If I had any idea I would...but hey I dont hear too good and thats why Im here.

I honestly think its because I look like Im in my twenties and physically fit.. so obviously nothings wrong with me.

Based on the info you guys have provided I think I will wait till nearly a year after my award and then perhaps put in for tdiu if I still haven't secured a job.

Another c@p is just too stressful at this time.

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you seeing a psychiatrist at VA. Deafness often leads to depression. This can be service connected. If you can't work apply for TDIU is my advice. Why wait while you go broke? Apply for SSDI as well if you have been out of work more than six months. The VA can always look at your claim to reduce. Once you get TDIU it is much harder. They must prove you can work. If VA rates you 50% for hearin loss you must be almost deaf. Do you read lips. Do you know sign language? I would learn it and bring signer who can hear for your C&P. Make it known you can't hear C&P doctor.