Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Service Connected?

This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 


Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 


This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.




Hello fellow vets.

I was stationed in Germany in 1999 and had an accident on my way to work in my personal vehicle. From the accident I lower back pain which was all documented from when I was in the hospital after the wreck. My question is will this be considered service connected when I get my claim awarded? Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Generally any injury or illness that occurred or was aggravated during the time you were on active duty is an injury or illness that occurred “in the line of duty”. For example, injuries you sustained in an automobile accident while you were on active duty are considered injuries that occurred in the line of duty.

However, any injury or illness that resulted from your own misconduct or abuse of alcohol and drugs will not be considered “in the line of duty.” Generally your claim for service-connected disability will be denied if the disability was a result of your own misconduct or abuse of alcohol and drugs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0


You will have to show a nexus or connection between any medical conditions you have now and your military service. The back injuries you referred to in your post occurred 15 years ago so you will need to show a continuity of treatment for your back injuries since 1999 or be able to find a doctor who is willing to provide you with an IMO stating your current medical conditions were "as likely as not" caused by your accident during your military service. The doctor will have to show reasonable rationale to support his/her opinion.

Provide your military medical records to your doctor so he/she can refer to the records in his/her IMO. Also, provide your doctor with any other medical records since your discharge and any other supporting documentation. All of these same records along with the IMO will need to be submitted along with your claim.

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

You have been given good advice:

1. Your car accident is "in the line of duty", unless you were doing something bad, alcohol, drugs etc, as long as you were in service.

2. As Georgia papa suggested, however, you will need a docs opinion (nexus) that your current condition is "at least as likely as not" caused by your car accident or other incident in military service.

You need 3 things for service connection:

1. Current diagnosis of illness or injury (no diagnosis, no compensation)

2. In service event, or aggravation during service.

3. Nexus, or link, between 1 and 2 above.

Without all 3 of these, you are not going to get service connection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I would like to clarify further..........

1. Documented sickness or injury in military records.

a. is the disability acute or chronic in nature.

b. If deemed chronic, the injury is considered static or permanent in nature.

c. acute conditions are deemed able to improve; however they limit everyday activities (residuals)..

2. You need to show continuous treatment for the injury or residuals related to the injury.

a. residuals are injuries/ailments related to the primary injury. They might be filed under secondary claims. Get a IMO to help establish them.

3. Last, a nexus letter from a medical specialist or treating physician clearly showing current disability is related to military accident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • Advertisemnt

  • question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.


    You can read the forums without registering.


    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.


    Leading to:


    Post straightforward questions and then post background information.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?


    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.




    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines