VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newly Diagnosed Ptsd From Va Psych

Rate this question

BoonDoc

Question

I went to my first appointment today with a psychologist, and after 2 hours of asking me questions, she said that I have all of the symptoms of PTSD with agoraphobia. I was taken back since I am not a combat veteran, I was a Corpsman in the Navy. She said she had another medic who had it, and the only group the VA has is for combat vets, but that they accepted the other guy as one of them, but he quit going since he felt out of place...I would too! She was an older lady, so I assume she has been dong this for a while, but I just don't know.

This seems strange to me, but I'm going to wait and see. I know I have the symptoms, but I never dreamed PTSD!?

Is this possable??

Boondoc

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to have a MILITARY STRESSOR to be SC for PTSD; otherwise, civvie life can be just as harrowing - at times. ~Wings

The "Stressor" she said made me have PTSD, happened while on active duty, and treatment for the event is in my SMR's, but nothing about PTSD.

I'm thinking more of treatment and trying to get better, or at least get out of my house once a week or so with the family to go out to eat, etc.

Boondoc

Edited by BoonDoc

• HadIt.com Elder

Boondoc

I would think about the compensation as well if I were you. If you saw blood and guts this could be your stressor. If the shrink gives you a PTSD diagnosis I would file a claim and try to back it up with an in-service stressor like dealing with accidents and death. Take the ball and run with if you can. Half the people at the VA have no idea what they are doing but the money is still green. They screw thousands out of compensation so if you can get it then take it.

You bet- many Corpsmen have PTSD.

I would definitely file a claim for PTSD if I were you. And John is right- the VA wants some blood and guts stuff.

That is unfortunate about the VA combat group.I was in a combat group as a civilian VA volunteer and the first vet I met (one of VA's first 100% PTSD vets in the country) never saw combat.

However he was incountry and what his job involved was quite traumatic and horrible.

It is not what one does in the mil or what happens to them, it is the effect of all that.Obviously something you described was enough for the shrink to diagnose you and -as you said- there is evidence in your SMRs of this. I hope you have a copy of your SMRs

too.

Edited by Berta

• Founder
I went to my first appointment today with a psychologist, and after 2 hours of asking me questions, she said that I have all of the symptoms of PTSD with agoraphobia. I was taken back since I am not a combat veteran, I was a Corpsman in the Navy. She said she had another medic who had it, and the only group the VA has is for combat vets, but that they accepted the other guy as one of them, but he quit going since he felt out of place...I would too! She was an older lady, so I assume she has been dong this for a while, but I just don't know.

This seems strange to me, but I'm going to wait and see. I know I have the symptoms, but I never dreamed PTSD!?

Is this possable??

Boondoc

Boondoc - a diagnosis of PTSD can be a bit disconcerting it is often followed by thought that what you went through wasn't that bad, however apparently it was because here you are, our minds deal in different ways and sometimes things just get broke. it is great you have a pyschologist make sure you get on a regular schedule with the therapist make your appointments you will need them to help you through this you can do this you can go out again you just need tools and support.

On a claim I always recommend two things one get a service officer and two work your own claim as much as possible. I file all my paperwork through a service officer, there are good ones and not so good so ask around where you go to your therapist if anyone has one they like, ask your therapist sometimes they have one they have expeirence with. go to the service officer lay out your claim va pyschologist diagnosis ptsd with agoriphoibia your service recorder with the stressors she has linked this to. service officer should file a claim and you will be scheduled a compensation and pension exam with different doctors, you will most likely need a litter from your pyschologists stating here diagnosis, prognosis and the statement linking the in service stressor to the current diagnosis

take good care of yourself - see if your local veterans centers have any resources for family members of veterans with ptsd there are skills and tools that will help them also.