VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Alterations Of Medical Records

ArNG11

In a strange twist of fate, as my right arm is in a splint temp cast, I've been looking through my records to pass time as I can't fly my RC s while in this temp cast. Although I won't get into the specifics of what was omitted, I have come across two documents which have been altered and are missing the physician's notes. I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression since 2010. Private docs even mention possible PTSD, however , in the VA copy of my Cfile those hand written notes are omitted, actually covered up in white as if purposely trying to hide something. I kept looking and found that my LOD for anxiety and depression had two copies. One with hand written notes and the other with the same exact information except the hand notes were not there. WTFO. Did someone who was trying to alter my documents screw up and leave the original and altered records still in the file? Curious indeed. I forwarded the info to my attorney, but it looks like I am going to have to go through my file a couple of dozen more times and see what else has been doctored up. Scandalous indeed.

PS Did I mention how hard it is to type with one hand. : ) This cast thing for 8 weeks is gonna suck big ones.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Might be time to schedule an appointment with the RO to look at your C-file firsthand and see what new dirty tricks are afoot.

Will VA alter records ? You bet they will.

I fixed them and was able to determine a diagnosis that was crossed out.

It took me about 17 years to get that diagnosis awarded.

Are you SCed for the right arm and needed some surgery on it?

Maybe not , but if so, have you applied for Temp Convalesence?

• In Memoriam

We use to say WTFO all the time in Naval aviation especially when checking out the ARC-51. It is good to see that term.

Edited by Stretch

Will VA alter records ? You bet they will.

I fixed them and was able to determine a diagnosis that was crossed out.

It took me about 17 years to get that diagnosis awarded.

Are you SCed for the right arm and needed some surgery on it?

Maybe not , but if so, have you applied for Temp Convalesence?

Berta thanks for the response. No my right arm surgery has to do with my federal job as an aircraft mechanic. Sadly this is surgery number six between both hands and i have one left for the left arm. It is a workers comp thing unfortunately, however, sadly they are moving faster on my claim than the VA. It only took me a year and a half to get that straightened out.

I have forwarded the info and copies of both the original and altered documents to my attorney, I am just flabbergasted at the audacity and blatant sabatoge that happened here. But I think someone royally screwed up leaving the original and altered file in my records. I don't know what made me look at them again but I was reviewing them for a claim I had placed for anxiety and depression. And like a Mac truck it hit me, and I was like holy humpty dumpty batman someone cracked the egg here. I am trying to go through my files but its difficult to do with one hand and being loopy with the meds from the pain pump. I wonder what else I can find if I keep digging.

"I wonder what else I can find if I keep digging."

That is often one the BEST things any claimant can do.!!!!!!

My claims were all awarded at a RO level (after fighting back their denials) except one.The BVA awarded it.

6 years from filing it in 2003 to the award in 2009 and then I had to fight for the money for about 5 more months.

In that entire 6 year plus period I went through my files and the medical records of my husband every single week and kept digging and digging and even found more very strong evidence AFTER the claim was awarded.

It was difficult to believe my claim had been resolved so I kept working on it. . :blink:

The evidence I found that VA didn't see,after they awarded, I used instead for my AO IHD death claim.

Sometimes a family member or friend can see something we miss too.

Claims are emotional experiences and so frustrating that these things can cloud our ability to catch everything right away.

I even missed understanding part of an IRIS response months ago because I didn't realize that a claim the VA told me they had received in 2012 and then suddenly it was lost ,

was used apparently as a NOD on another claim I had pending.(WTF)

A claim used as a NOD? The proper NOD was timely filed on a claim that had nothing to do with the other 2012 claim.

But I also had filed for an NOD extension and I dont think they want to deal with that because the "good cause" needed for an extension to NOD ,I stated with the NOD extention regs, was because a claimant cannot file a proper NOD on a decision that contains a legal error.that was detrimental to the claimant.They have to resolve the CUE claim first.

My last CUE took 6 years.

I emailed the Sec about all this and told him I was fed up and could provide evidence of 20 years of illiteracy and lack of basic VA case law knowledge, memorialized by my VARO (Buffalo) in ludicrous decisions I was able to get reversed only when someone in the system with the ability to read evidence awarded them.

Sorry for my rant here......... I commend you for Digging and doing all you can to seek a proper resolve..and I am glad you have a lawyer.

Edited by Berta