VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help Fining Proof Of A Stressor

Rate this question

coastie72

Question

This is probably not the correct place to ask this question, but any help and or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am not 100% sure of the dates but I know that this incident was in one of the two time ranges.

Mid July-Early Sept 1970 or March-June 13TH 1972.

I am stretching both of these time frames a little. I was TDY at USCG Group Norfolk VA. in the 1970 time period, and I was at the same Base before my RELAD.

While there one of my jobs was as engineer on our small boats. We responded to a report of a body floating in the Elizabeth River, me and two other guys that I have no

clue what their names were. The body that we recovered as I remember was a black male, dressed in a suit, with a holstered handgun. He was floating face down and when we retrieved him he had a gunshot to the back of the head and was faceless. We radioed it in and the Police? don't know what department, met us shortly after we got to the dock. I have three recurrent dreams on an all to frequent basis and I can see the image of this one as I type.

Through email I turned to the Norfolk Police Department thinking surely that would have a record of this. It was obviously a murder. Through a ten day period I emailed back and forth only to be told that they have records from that time period, but nothing like I am describing.

In those days everything was in the newspaper, but I never seen a story on this.

I know that it happened I was there can anyone suggest another avenue to find a report on this.

I also have contacted Portsmouth Police but the have not responded.

I have not had any luck trying to find information through the USCG.

Thanks in advance.

• HadIt.com Elder

COASTIE 72

You may try to contact the news media or the news paper in that area they should be able to help you with this and go back to those dates and the police Dept should help you unless the case has not be solved? but for you I think they could help you on the dates you recoverd the body and they should have your name as in the rescue team....The USCG should have some evidence on this?

If not then you can go the' presumption'' way and tell your story,

Edited by britton

• In Memoriam

I found old POV rosters with names of people in my squadron. I remembered that certain people were involved and looked them up in white pages. Then came the cold calling. I found five of them. I traveled to see 3 of them and was happy to see them.

I told them that I was trying to get SC for these conditions and they were happy to write buddy letters in the form of affidavits that were noterized.

This took a lot of time and some things kick off other memories that may be helpfull.

FYI

Depression is much easier to attain than is PTSD.