VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Questions.

Rate this question

mariorivera830

Question

Hey folks.

I was recently denied service connection for my Gerd and other GI diagnoses with the wording of "aggravated by PTSD but not caused by PTSD", is that a good basis for asking for those disabilities as secondary to PTSD?

And would those be opened as a new claim or can I NOD that?

Being 100% already, I wouldn't pursue it, but I need something like that service connected to protect my family should anything happen in the future.

Thanks in advance guys and I don't know where I'd be without somewhere and people like this place has.

Were your GERD and other GI conditions pre-service or post service?

Pre-service medical conditions that are aggravated or worsened by service connected conditions will be service connected only to the degree they become worse than pre-service.

Post service medical conditions that are caused by a service connected condition will be service connected according to the degree or level of disability.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to you.

If your GERD and GI conditions were post service conditions they would be secondary to your PTSD.

Yes, they were post service conditions. Pretty much everything was post service. I got out about 3 months after we got back from Iraq, so there wasn't much time to get everything checked out.

With that being said, how should I go about submitting for these? New claim or nod.

If you have been denied by the VARO, then file a NOD, and state your reasons: That your condition is due to aggravation.

If you have not filed, then file a new claim.

Reason: Your effective date will be earlier if you file a nod.

Benefits are not limited to 100%. 100% plus another 60 percent, for example, quaifies you for statuatory housebound. You dont need to prove your are housebound..you just get it if you meet the 100 plus 60 criteria for SMC housebound. SMC S for Housebound is about 300 bucks a month.

Great advice by broncovet.

Thanks. Yes I was denied direct service connection for these conditions with the reason being that they were aggravated by but not caused by PTSD.

So nod this as you said? That's sounds easy enough on my end. Thanks.