VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Timelines

Rate this question

VRhodes

Question

Hello. I am curious if the estimated completion times are accurate. My husband retired May 1. Initially, Ebennies said it should be complete in October 2014. We were waiting to get to Pending Decision Approval for several weeks...months even. Suddenly we got kicked back to Gathering Evidence. Now it says it could be Jan of 2016! I'm really hoping this is not very accurate....any experience with this?

On a side note, when we got kicked back to Gathering Evidence we got a letter stating that if they needed anything from us that we'd be notified via mail. This change happened Sept 25th. Today, Oct 20th we see on Ebennies that since we did not provide the requested documentation they are closing the request. After coming home from work I picked up the mail. That's where I see a letter written on the 25th of Sept, postmarked for Oct 18th and received Oct 20th. In the letter it requests dental records for his entire career in the Army. This is very odd because he sent in his dental records, for the Navy though...he has never served in the Army. Just to add extra chaos, in the same envelope was another letter...addressed to another man living in Arizona (we are in WA). My faith in the system is fading. Do you really think it'll be another year + before he receives benefits? Thanks in advance for your advice :)

5 answers to this question

Hello, and welcome to hadit! I'm suprised no one has posted yet, but here's what i've seen so far and in the past. You can't go by what you read on e-benifits period!!! The dates that they enter are just estimates, and from what i've learned, are entered when they get a chance and they are never right. The VA has been known to make mistakes before :ohmy: so expect more and if none happens be glad. My claim is in it's 16th month and is still in the gathering evidence phase so sit back and be prepared for a long wait. As for the letter stating if they need more evidence they will contact you, that to my understanding is what was closed. As far as the other request, make sure a copy of the records were sent.

Thanks for joining us!

Reading E benefits is a surefire way to ruin your day.

The Completion dates listed are the average for your regional office plus one standard deviation.

If you are in Washington last I heard the average claim completion was 14 months. With that being said, every claim is different and some are done faster and some take longer.

Is it possible for you to go in person to your regional office and talk with them? I'd be concerned if they are asking you for records from the Army when he served in the Navy and also concerned because there's another man's information in your letter.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

Yeah, ebenefits really varies and is only as accurate as the person entering info into the system. Mine was never correct, but some folks have seen it be somewhat accurate.