VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Another Panic Attack/another Hospitilization

betrayed

Question

wednesday I had another panic attack which lead to severe chest pains and 3 days in the hospital.

Just like the last time (hospitalized two weeks ago) I asked to speak to someone in mental health and ended up speaking to a xxxxxxx social worker who acted like I was a xxxxxxx bother to her.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

11 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

FLHRCI,

John 999 is correct. Those are the magic words. Try it and you will be surprised, just how fast, you will get some real help!

You need the help anyway! Those panic attacks are no Picnic!

Josephine

Just tell them you want to kill yourself and they have to keep you and you get to talk to a real psychiatrist.

I TOLD THEM IF I DIDNT GET HELP I WAS GOING TO KILL MYSELF AND I WAS TIRED OF LIVING LIKE THIS.............I WAS RELEASED LAST NIGHT

I TRULEY UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE GO POSTAL..................WITH MY BACKGROUND GOD HELP EM IF I GET TO THAT POINT

I TOLD THEM IF I DIDNT GET HELP I WAS GOING TO KILL MYSELF AND I WAS TIRED OF LIVING LIKE THIS.............I WAS RELEASED LAST NIGHT

I TRULEY UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE GO POSTAL..................WITH MY BACKGROUND GOD HELP EM IF I GET TO THAT POINT

Was this a VA hospital or a private hospital?

I was hospitalised one time from the VA emergency room...

Boondoc

Guest fla_viking

Dear Fellow Veterans & Friends

You dont have to hurt yourself or others to get your help. Chances are if you do you will end up in jail where they will by law have to treat you. You can take away any stigma that hurting others has and surrender directly to a jury trial in progress by telling them your a vet, your life and others are in danger and you need to be arrested to get proper medical care in the jail. Boy would that leave the VA with some explaining to do if vet across the country were to get treatment this way.

The VA retaliated against me when my atty applied for back pay by changing my direct deposit bank account # and looseing my check. I had 4 days to be eveicted from my home. I warned my congressman and VA officals if I lost my home or the lights were shut off. I would surrender to a jury trial in progress. 4 days latter the VA check was in my mail box. The VA is reallly affraid of a vet being in court due to there negligence and corrupton.

Terry Higgins

Dear FLHRCI

Please see if the VAMC has a walkin Behavor Science unit, { should be Mental Health] Go there and tell them you need to see the DR right away and tell them what you just wrote.

My son went there in August bypassing his PCP. He was admitted within a couple hours [ Of course this is a lockdown unit] He had to talk to a couple of DR's before he was admitted, But he got the help he needed.

Good Luck Veteran!! Hang in there!!

Jessie

I strongly suggest that you contact your Congressman about this.

I suggest too that you keep your Congressman's phone number or the number of his/her veteran's liason in your wallet any time you go to the VA.

I went through this when my husband was refused admission.He called me from the hospital. I called my Congressman's office and with minutes they started to page the VAMC for Rod who had already gotten onto the Day Treatment Van to come home-he was experiencing a horrific flashback of Vietnam,triggered by something that had gone on in Day Treatment and he intended to hurt people or himself.

Within minutes of calling my Congressman the VAMC started paging him and the director and two shrinks ran all over looking for him- they finally realized he was on the Van and got him off it and admitted him.It was big news there for a long time-that they had refused to admit a combat vet to the 6-P ward.

When they refused to give him a CT scan once,(they said it was broken) all I had to do was repeat my congressman's phone number to his doctor -who asked whose number is that- and when I said "Congressman Houghtons and I going into the lobby to call him and get Rod that CT scan"-----he got prepped for a CT scan within minutes.and of course it wasn't broken at all.

Dont take their crap- If I were you I would call your Congressman as soon as his/her office opens on Tuesday and let them know that you are having problems with the VA.

Unfortunately these problems often happen at night or on the weekend when there seems to be no one to call- in that case I would call 911 -even if you are still at the VA-there are pay phones in their lobbys- if you need immediate help and feel that you might harm yourself.

If you go to the ER again and they dont help you-tell them you will call 911 from the VAMC pay phone,and the situation might change real fast.

Something is triggering these attacks-the VA can and should deal with it. And they will if you complain to your Congressman.

Berta you know I have contacted my congressman, remember the meeting in july.............I will be off here for a while, I just wrote a letter of instruction (email) to my wife, mother and son. Listing the congressmans staffers I had been in touch with, I also sent my congressmans office a email along with a couple VA Doctors stating the shit is gonna hit the fan, SO I AM NOW BEYOND THE POINT OF NO RETURN told them to stand by for contact from my family. Listed a few friends people who could help them, and also where my medical power of attorney is. I am gonna go take a shower, pack some clothes, drive which I am not supposed to, to the VAMC and go to the ER.....................So until I talk to you guys, good luck and see you in the future..............(Carlie I am gonna leave my pistol home :angry: LOL)

• HadIt.com Elder

If a vet tells them at the VAMC ER that he is going to kill himself they have to admit him. I know because that is what I did. They wanted me to contract for my safety and I would not do it, so in I went. That was five years ago. They cannot turn people away who are a definite risk for suidice or homicide.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is very afraid that some PTSD vet will visit a federal office and waste a bunch of people in a fit of rage. This is not far fetched. Someone with nothing to lose will do anything. That is one reason very bad things happen in places like Iraq where soldiers who figure they are going to die anyway come unglued.