VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does Illness Have To Be Chronic To Be Service Connnected

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi,

This is the direct ruling from my R.O Service Manager as to denial of benefits.

That a veteran may have been treated for a particular condition while on active duty, does not mean that the condition will automatically be considered service - connected.

In order to establish service conection, there must be evidence of a Chronic Disability or Disease directly linked to Military Service.

My anxiety took many years to be considered Chronic?

I was first diagnosed with mild, then came acute and not until 1978 did my anxiety become diagnosed as Chronic.

Maybe this is what I am missing and can't understand.

Thanks Josephine

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Guest fla_viking

Dear Josehpine.

I was rated 0% for a groin injury. To this day I have had no problem or need treatment. But the VA rated me 0% so I could get treatment in case of future problems. Tell the VA you had the disablity at time of service but it was 0% at that time and got worse. It would help you if you could get An IMO linking your disablity of today to that of when you were in the service

Terry Higgins

Guest jstacy

Josephine, They are using the ACUTE against you. The Opposite of Chronic is Acute. You can rebut that by stating the person who diagnosed Acute did not have the entire record of your condition. Acute is an onset of a condition and that is what they are saying.

Edited by jstacy

• HadIt.com Elder

Jstacy,

There is no way in service that my anxiety began as a chronic condition and that is what they are asking at each C&P examination.

Was my anxiety Chronic in Service? I would have to say no. I was only in service for one year and was discharged by the direction of Dr. C.

I posted my remand lies and all. If I should get another C&P, perhaps, I can clear some of it up.

Thanks,

Josephine

Jstacy,

There is no way in service that my anxiety began as a chronic condition and that is what they are asking at each C&P examination.

Was my anxiety Chronic in Service? I would have to say no. I was only in service for one year and was discharged by the direction of Dr. C.

I posted my remand lies and all. If I should get another C&P, perhaps, I can clear some of it up.

Thanks,

Josephine

Josephine,

Re-read what jstacy said. No condition begins as a chronic condition. If, over time, the condition persists it's then considered to be chronic. Chronic goes all the way back to the start - the acute diagnosis. It's the continuation of the condition that makes it chronic. And chronic always starts with acute! It just takes time to find out that you were chronic all along.

• HadIt.com Elder
Josephine,

Re-read what jstacy said. No condition begins as a chronic condition. If, over time, the condition persists it's then considered to be chronic. Chronic goes all the way back to the start - the acute diagnosis. It's the continuation of the condition that makes it chronic. And chronic always starts with acute! It just takes time to find out that you were chronic all along.

I was never diagnosed as being Chronic all along.

In service I was considered to have mild nervousness and treated with Librium.

In 1967 I was diagnosed as Acute by my private Physician and treated also with Librium until 1975,

In 1975 I was diagnosed with Chronic Anxiety and treated with about 20 other drugs to 1979.

From that date to now the conditon is Chronic.

Thanks, see if I have it right now?

Josepehine