Is There A Downside?

mcarter985

Question

Hi...I expect to submit a claim for PTSD in mid November. I already have an outstanding claim for tennitis and hearing loss (don't expect much there). Will submitting a new claim (PTSD) cause it to slow down the process? I understand it will join up with the tennistis/hearing loss claim and a bit paranoid it will slow everything down. Any thoughts about this? Thanks in advance!

I filed an FDC claim for MDD in june of 2013. I had my knee replaced in February of this year. One claim was joined to the other and then at my C&P exam for MDD they determined I had PTSD and changed my claim to that. So 15 months after my initial MDD claim and 8 months after my knee replacement (which is 100% for 13 months, so I understand) I am still in the gathering of dust (evidence) stage. So in my uneducated opinion, yes I think it may slow everything down.

At least in my case it appeares to have.

Take care

• Like 1

Yes, it will slow your award down not the process as VA keeps changing things and now they are combining all the open claims. For example if you go on the ebenefits and look at your claims it now states that the VA will work to resolve all open claims to send out 1 overall rating. So if one claim is done and you put one in the Hooper before the previous claim is closed then you will not receive an award prior to both being complete is my understanding. My claim for my PTSD was completed, but my status didn't change until my claim for my feet was completed as well.

Anything and everything slows your claim down. The VA has two speeds...

1. Extremely painfully slow.

2. Worse than the above.

However, avoiding filing a claim because it will slow your existing claim costs you money, because the later you file, the later your effective date will be. You are faced with two very disgustingingly bad choices:

1. Slow your claim down.

2. Maybe, just maybe, NOT slow your claim down but cost yourself money in regard to your effective date.

Thank you all. I'm going to go ahead and submit the claim as the 10% tinnitis claim won't do much for my overall percentage as it stands today (60% for IHD - Agent Orange presemptive). I won't get anything for the hearing loss (or extremely doubtful).