VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pseudofolliculitis Barbae

Rate this question

Airmankbrown

Question

Hello,

I am new here. I have pseudofolliculitis barbae and I had a shaving waiver every month in the military. I didn't keep my shaving waiver because I wasn't aware that it counted for disability at the time. I ordered my medical history but waivers are not included in it. Can I still get disability for pseudofolliculitis barbae? How do i go about doing it?

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Bennyb444 Welcome to Hadit.

Yes, veterans can be compensated for barbae, possibly with diagnostic code 7800. Search BVA decisions to see if you have similar symptoms as described in the cases. Certainly, you must have str/service medical records of the event.  see this article https://cck-law.com/video/disability-ratings-for-skin-conditions/

I didn't have barbae, I had cystic acne.  I had a no shave from medical.  During field training (Marines) we had an inspection where I failed the shave part.  NCO made me shave with a dull disposable razor without shave cream.  It was a very dirty environment.  Dirt, camo paint, bug spray, etc.  Bled and got infected.  Scared the F outta my face and neck.  Had a Navy Corpsman lady about cry when I told her what had happened and the damage done.  They should of wrote that NCO up.  I got 80% for the extensive scarring on face, neck, cheeks, back, and chest.  Painful scarring with underlying damage.  The cystic acne persisted for another year until treated with Accutane.  Three regiments to get it under control.  Lucky my liver is still in good shape.

Pretty sure this would happen whether it was acne or barbae.  I claimed it when I got out - denied.  20 years later, pursued it again - 10%.  Got an outside IME filed an NOD - 80%.

If you have scarring from the incident, I'd pursue that.