VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm Not Worthy

Rate this question

coastie72

Question

I turned 64 a few weeks ago, after over 40 years I finally gave in and asked for help with my hearing loss and tinnitus. I was awarded 10% SC for tinnitus and 0% for hearing.

I always had both conditions since leaving the USCG in 1972. Neither was as bad as it is now, especially the tinnitus which is really bad.

I always felt I was undeserving when I look around at what other vets have gone through.

A few weeks ago I contacted the vet crisis line and just unloading all that was pent up inside of me. I had mentioned how depressing and aggravating the tinnitus was to my DAV VSO. I also mentioned thoughts of suicide and recurring nightmares. At that time he suggested we do a claim secondary to tinnitus for depression. My personal Dr. gave me a nexus. My VSO didn't realize like most people how messed up I really am so that was the way we were going.

I spent over two hours chatting and on the phone with the Crisis Line people on Oct. 11th. The lady was very nice and after answering a zillion questions and insuring me I could get help she said that my dreams that also just pop up during the daytime hours are stressors and that I most likely have PTSD along with other issues. My talk with her that day made me feel better and she very well might have saved my life.

She gave me a list of phone numbers to call including the local Vet Center. Today I needed to talk to someone again, so I called the vet center. I spoke with another nice lady that listened to my story and she too said, likely PTSD..........I did not every know until a few months ago that you could have PTSD without combat.

So as we spoke and she calmed me down, I asked her if they had after hours counseling or groups ET. She said yes we do, but ONLY for combat veterans..... That took me back to square one for this day.

I see the VA MH next week, and then I go from there..........I'm beginning to believe what I always thought.... I am not worthy!!!!! I wish I had never started this process! God Help me!

As for a only getting 10% for sc tinnitus I wish the VA would up that rating because it is very very depressing to say the least.

The 10% comp for tinnitus is pretty much carved in stone and I do not feel

that evaluation level will ever be changed. -

As for depression due to Tinnitus - that is a secondary condition and can be SC'd

as secondary, of course it would need credible and probative medical evidence

to prevail.

Hope this helps a vet.

jmho

So I made it to my appointment and I feel it went well. My psych dr. changed up some of the meds I was already on and I see him and his nurse on different days in the coming month. He told me I would be getting a lot of phone calls from their team checking on me. His plans are for a gradual increase in the dosage of two different meds and the addition of a BP med that he said he wanted to check with personal Dr. on first. I can't remember what it's called, but he said it was not to help my BP, but my other issues? All I can do is trust they know what they are doing.

I now have an appointment with my primary care Dr. next Friday. I have to go in early for lab work and a later visit. All this is so new to me and I am just sort of at a loss as what happens next. The letter I got thanked me for choosing them as my primary care provider???? I never said anything about doing that??

I want to be able to see the same Dr. that I have been seeing since 1972. Can I do both?

Thank all of you for your words of encouragement.

Also when I told the dr. today about what happened with the Vet Center he has ways around it, that in the near future I would be welcomed there.

So now what happens, at some point will there be a C&P.....reading some of the others that have posted here it seems I was asked many of the same questions I've seen on their C&P exams?

Some great people on this site.

Edited by coastie72

Also when I told the dr. today about what happened with the Vet Center he has ways around it, that in the near future I would be welcomed there.

coastie,

The statement above is why I made post #5 as a reply to you a few days ago.

Just about everything in life has options,a way around it and a back door to slide through.

jmho

"coastie,

You do not necessarily have to be a "combat vet".

Here's the eligibility for the Vet Center's.

There are instances where they will most likely provide services - even if you don't meet the

eligibility criteria.

The team leader can probably make a decision on it.

jmho

http://www.vetcenter...Eligibility.asp"

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh yeah I know what ya mean carlie...I just wish someone would push the issue and rate tinnitus to 50% at least! or find a way to mask it. mine seems to be getting worse its about to drive me insane & not only for me but for all my fellow veterans that have to live with it 365

Burt Did you file a claim for compensation increase? or was it just your regular visit to your primary Doc? sometimes the VA Dr's will submit your claim and sometimes they don't...its mostly up to the vet to file for increase...but you can get a VSO or member here in hadit to help you ...it sounds like to me you ''hadit''

you may get a letter letting you know your set up for a comp & pen? I'm not sure but if you did file for increase yep you should get a letter for your C & P appointment & Never ask a VA Doc if he/she thinks you qualify for comp.....altho when you submit a claim For increase they want to check you out pretty good...I'd spend a little cash and go get a couple of IMO's (Indenpendent Medical Opinion) especially if there in your favor.

I understand what you mean about trusting the Dr's but you still need to do some research on a few things you may question ( internet is a big help)....and when you get your appointments with the VA Dr's make each minute count...try to write yourself some notes the day before about the things you want or need to remember to ask your Dr about your health/meds ect,,ect,,......and when you finish with your appointment its a good Ideal to go get copy's of your medical records...because I have found after you leave the appointment the Dr's will write in their report different things than what they tell you.....so its a good thing to stay on top of things! ....>Not all Dr's but some of them!!!

Good Luck Buddy

Edited by britton

Thank you Carlie !!!!!

Britton, Where do I go to get the copies of my medical records.??? I know what you mean about the tinnitus, as far as compensation it only rates 10%, but in reality it is way beyond 10% of my issues. Mine has gotten so much worse and I can no longer block it out the way I use to be able to...........the only time I don't hear it is when I am asleep, and who knows, I'm probably hearing it then? Much worse of an issue than its rated for many of us.

Thanks again.

Edited by coastie72

I'm also SC'd for Tinnitus.

Again, some conditions can be secondary to the Tinnitus and be SC'd as such for an evaluation,

as long as there is a diagnosis from the appropriate pedigree, along with credible and probative evidence

stating full medical rationale, to support the secondary condition.

Hope this helps a vet.

jmho