Starting Ptsd Process

Moiorban

Question

Hello all, and let me say Semper Fi to all the marines out there. Long story short I went to the VA and had a ptsd intake interview. He said I scored a 77out of 83 so he scheduled me to see one of the VA psychiatrist. Plus for the last 11years I have been on ambien in order to sleep otherwise I won't sleep. Long story for another time.

My question is, when I saw the shrink all we did is talk about how bad Muslims were and prepping. I thought at first he was trying to read me but not sure. Plus he took phone calls and talked to people that walked in the room. Then he put two scripts in the system and that was it. I thought I was supposed to be getting help but we didn't talk about anything. Maybe I don't understand the process.

• Subscription Holder

Do you have a return appointment with a shrink? You want to start the process at the beginning of the Yellow Brick Road and it sounds like you did, but you must not let it drop! Follow up on this and don't let them put you off by no means. Once you get DX'ed by the VA with PTSD you should stay in treatment and then file for SC. You should stay in treatment and keep accepting the drugs. If you go to a Vet Center you should coordinate that with VA shrink visits. You make a many sided attack on the VA money sack plus you get some treatment as well.

John

• Like 2

From my husbands experience the psychiatrist only does the meds. Psychologist/therapist does the therapy. My husbands process started with the intake/assessment appointment as well. From there he was assigned a therapist and 10 week PTSD group therapy in addition to individual counseling with the same doctor. So call the same clinic where you had the intake and ask when you can join the next PTSD group. This is all good for your claim because the medical history is being documented along the way.

You can your file if you have not done so yet. By the time they get to processing your claim, you would have had about a year a medical documentation thru the VA.

Edited by Kimmy
  • Like 1

Not sure what a PTSD intake exam is but if the numbers are your Gaf score then they feel you don't have PTSD. Have you actually been Dxed as having PTSD?

Stillhere

New DSM5 does not take gaf scores anymore and should not factor any older ones

or references to them, into the evaluation.