VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health C&p Advocate

Rate this question

yogi995

Question

The VA is sending me to a non VA Dr (Veterans Evaluations Services) in Nacogdoches,TX for mental health C&P exam Wednesday (10/29/14). A friend insists that he drive me to the exam & be with me during the exam as my advocate. It only 40 miles & I drive there with no problem, I'm afraid he will not tell the truth. He says I'm too proud to tell what all I have trouble with. I would like others thoughts about this,

John,

I agree with you 100%.

Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy.

Excellent points and great advice. I'm so glad you brought your friend yogi995!

When I was a C&P psychologist, if the veteran was accompanied by a family member or friend, I always asked the vet if they wanted me to interview him or her. At least 75% of the time they said "Yes", and about 90% or more of the time the spouse's information helped me to better understand the nature and severity of the veteran's PTSD and/or other mental disorder, i.e., if I had not spoken with the family member or friend, I probably would have underestimated the severity of the veteran's condition, for all the reaons you guys explained so well above.

By the way, I just stumbled acroos a really good article on "What to Expect at Your C&P Exam" on the Swords to Plowshares website. It sounds familiar to me (I wonder if they got it from someone else), but it's very good advice nonetheless (it's very consistent with what you all advised and pointed out in your posts). The article is at:

http://www.swords-to-plowshares.org/2012/09/27/compensation-and-pension-examinations/

(I am not affiliated with Swords to Plowshares)

All the Best,

Joey

Joey,

Thanks for the informative article. It was outstanding.

Like I said B4 my case closed Nov 18. No snail mail 10 days later. Called the RO this morning. I was told the case was cancled & combined with an appeal & that takes 400+ days. On ebenefis the case is listed as complete. Is this normal? Sounds to me like cooking the books. My Congressman's office will hear from me Monday. Any advice on what else I should do?