VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Emg/nerve Conduction Study 2 Years Old

Rate this question

asheth007

Question

I had a EMG and Nerve Conduction study 2 years ago I have tried searching on the internet about Carpal Tunnel syndrome and ulnar neuropathy and how to read the EMG and Nerve Conduction study. My Rheumatolgist thinks I have carpal tunnel and my PCM thinks I have Ulnar neuropathy. I have the results of my EMG and Nerve Conductio study from 2 years ago and was wondering if it would show up in the results based on the numbers listed. The EMG and Nerve Conduction was done specfically for my right arm which I later found out I had inflammatory myopathy which later turned into a diagnoses for polymyositis. The initial from the EMG was that they thought I had ALS possibly.

I can post the EMG and Nerve Conduction results if someone knows how to read it. Otherwise I would have to get another EMG and Nerve conduction done and I didn't find it to enjoyable the first time. I was given wrist splints yesterday by the VA. I am trying to setup a claim for carpal and/or ulnar and really only want to do another EMG/NCS unless I really have no other choice. I was told that I have carpal tunnel and it is in my records the VA gave me not service connected for carpal tunnel on both wrists and said from C&P results the examiner felt it was in remission.

Edited by asheth007

Usually a neurologist or physiatrist can review your nerve conduction studies and EMG tests and determine exactly what is causing your problem. I have had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel syndrome. The carpal tunnel syndrome caused numbness in my fingers and wrist. The cubital tunnel syndrome caused numbness up my ulnar nerve from my wrist to my elbow. Surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome is in the wrist. Surgery for cubital tunnel syndrome is in the elbow.

Good luck to you.

Usually a neurologist or physiatrist can review your nerve conduction studies and EMG tests and determine exactly what is causing your problem. I have had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel syndrome. The carpal tunnel syndrome caused numbness in my fingers and wrist. The cubital tunnel syndrome caused numbness up my ulnar nerve from my wrist to my elbow. Surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome is in the wrist. Surgery for cubital tunnel syndrome is in the elbow.

Good luck to you.

Would a study from 2 years ago still be sufficient or would I need another recent study?

Speaking from my experiences the docs will most likely look at that nerve conduction velocities and the latency response times. Also I would think they would order another EMG exam to verity the conditioning worsening and ask you if you would like the procedure done. if approved I would ask for the endoscopic, less mess, less expensive, less recovery time and almost no visual scars compared to the open method, oh and did I mention no cast time versus over two months in a cast and a month of physical therapy, plus and lastly, considerably less pain versus the open method.

In regards to filing a claim, if you feel like your condition has worsened in the last two years, it would probably be advantageous for you to get another EMG and nerve conduction study.

The VA does not always conduct new EMG tests and nerve conduction studies during C & P exams for neuropathy of the extremities. I had a C & P exam for neuropathy of my lower extremities and the NP conducting the exam used what appeared to be an oversize Q-tip broken in half to conduct my exam. She used the sharp end of the broken Q-tip to jab my legs and feet while asking me to let her know when I felt something. No other tests were performed. However, I did provide the NP with copies of the reports of my recent EMG tests and nerve conduction studies performed by my private physiatrist and the NP used information from the reports to answer the C & P questions on her computer. Make sure you take copies of your most recent EMG tests and nerve conduction studies to your future C & P exam.

Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

The ability for a Neurologist to determine Median or Ulnar Neuropathy is a Defined guess as the examiner may opine what he or she thinks about the results of the exam. This exam measures the latency of the nerves. There are 2 parts to this test. One is a Shock test that measures the speed that signal passes through the nerves. The second is like a frequency test with needles. Very painful test. I had this test done 4 times with the last one being in the Diaphragm. ( Folks, that is pain).

An issue often forgtotton here is the body has issues. If you are suffering from CTS or Ulnar issues, It may a Cervical issue, The Nerves in the neck at C4 to C6 controls the Ulnar and Median nerves in the arms. Dont let them rule out this issue. Always check the neck first, especially if a vet has sustained a neck trauma.

J