VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Peripheral Neuropathy And Bilateral And Dmii

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

Hi Ya'll,

I was hopeing that someone could explain how the rating works. For example ...if a vet had 20% DMII, and 40% PN bi-lateral in the feet and 10% PN bi-lateral in the hands, 30% CAD. How would the VA rate the disability?

Does the PN ( a secondary) get rated first because it is higher percentage or does the DMII get rated first because it is the primary SC.

Also how does the bi-lateral work? Is it 10% added to feet and 10% to hands or is it Hands and feet percentages added together and then an addtional 10% overall for the bi-lateral factor. This system is so confusing. Any help is really appreciated.

Jangrin and Chuckles :rolleyes: :D

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The bilateral factor is confusing to me as well. I have a 70% rating for a nervous condition, 10% for DMII, 10% for PN in each individual limbs and the VA said they considered the bilateral factor and I ended up with 80% SC. They are taking a percentage of a smaller and smaller number as they approach zero. It still does not seem right if they considered the bilateral factor for both my arm and legs.

Guest jangrin
The bilateral factor is confusing to me as well. I have a 70% rating for a nervous condition, 10% for DMII, 10% for PN in each individual limbs and the VA said they considered the bilateral factor and I ended up with 80% SC. They are taking a percentage of a smaller and smaller number as they approach zero. It still does not seem right if they considered the bilateral factor for both my arm and legs.

John999,

I have read the bi-lateral factor criteria and I still do not understand it. I have a feeling that they take each apendage and add them together then apply another 10% but do they add 10% for the feet and legs and then 10% for the hands and arms. I don't know either. Hopefully there will be some body out there that can answer this. I tried the search but still can't quite figure it out.

Jangrin :rolleyes:

Guest terrysturgis

jangrin, There was a posting from Wally a couple of days ago and if he sees your post he knows how to answer the percentage questions. He is very good at it bilaterial factors and all. My rating is as follows:

DMII - 40%

PN right lower - 40%

PN left lower - 40%

PN right upper - 30%

PN left upper - 30%

Tinnitus - 10%

Bilaterial factor with the PN ( not sure how that works ) for a total of 94.6 with TDIU equals 100%.

It seems like your husband has most of the same conditions as I do plus I think he also filed for PTSD. It's a bugger waiting, good luck.

Also John999 I thought all DMII claims start out at 20% presumptive. Why would your's be 10%? Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

Terry

I don't know why I just got 10% for the DMII. I am not taking any medications. They say my condition is being managed by diet and exercise. My last fasting glucose was 169. It usually hovers around the 126 level. I guess I do pretty well on the other test that measures your blood sugar over months the AI something. My SO said as soon as I have to start taking meds for the DMII to reopen my claim for an increase. I was not all that excited about it since it did not mean any more money for me, and my real private doctor said my DMII seemed to not be getting worse. If my real doctor tells me to start to worry then I will reopen my claim and ask for more. I do have arteriosclerosis in my legs so that is a claim right there because it is so very closely related to DMII. You might get that checked yourself. That is how a lot of DMII vets lose limbs with a combination of PN and artery disease. My problem showed up on a CT scan of my leg for another problem.

Guest jangrin

Terry,

Your right you and my husband's DMII problems are very similar. Your DMII is at 4o%, I think my husbands should be at about 40% also, he needs to be on insulin, but he is trying to control it with oral meds and diet. He has gotton his blood sugar down from 380 to 190- 230. It has been a slow process.I think they will rate him at 20%. I understand they could rate him at 30% if they feel they need to rate at a catagory that is not established in the rating chart.

But my husbands PN is getting pretty bad. He looses his balance and trips and has had numerous falls and he has lost his grip strength but also lately I have noticed he drops things or fumbles with things. He has lost all the hair on his legs and he probably needs to start on a diaretic as he has swelling in his feet. He's lost about 30 pounds and some more to go but he really is trying. The problem is he can't exercise because of his heart.

I think his PN will be higher than the DMII rating. I really don't understand the bi-lateral rating process.

Wally where are you????? :rolleyes:

Jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

I can't give you any info on the %, but PN is a real bitch. Some days I wish I would have just little feeling in either foot. Look like drunk walking, tripping over your feet cause you can't feel anything,.

Don