VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

This New Change Medicaton Changes?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I understand it that the VA Pharmacy will no longer refill schedule II narcotic medication hydrocodone (pain meds) but every 28 days as of Oct 6th 2014...before this change I got prescriptions via mail with 6 months of refills...I live to far from the VAMC to go there ever 28 days to see a VA Doc to get a 28 day supply...This applys to both VA & Retail

I can understand the concern of addictive potential, but when some one is in pain and that's bout all you can take to help grrr..Just another way cutting back on spending and it sucks for us vets that need it..for pain that is!

Edited by britton

I understand the frustration. I realized it too fast and now the doc will not give any until I see him again. Since he can't see me until the 14th, I will be without the next 10 days. I asked them if there were anything I could do for withdraws and haven't gotten a response. Anyone have any ideas on the withdraws?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

This might be attributable to the unwritten law of unintended consequences:

The docs in the ER are going to love the fact that more Veterans will be showing up asking for pain meds due to the policy change.

The same for the walk-in clinic.

But what about Veterans who live in locations far from VA facilities?

And with the VA requiring Veterans sign opiate use agreements, the first time they notice a Veteran went to a non-VA-approved facility to get pain meds, the VA will probably try to use it against them and cut them off.

And imagine a Veteran suffering from withdrawal driving themself to the ER...

Sorry to come off as pessimistic, but these are possibilities which could happen.

• HadIt.com Elder

ER in Dallas will not prescribe refills for hydrocodone. I got a notice on Nov 4th that said changes happened Oct 6th and that as od Sep 29th VA had to have 28 day prescriptions. My VA also told me that I had to see the Doc face to face. 28 fills are a day short of a full year. They are idiots.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I love how the VA gives us notification of upcoming changes after the changes take effect.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got my notice in Oct pete53 says the same as yours, I think this is going to cause a lot of problems, I see where ii says

''you may want to talk to your provider about a ''none -Hydrocodone pain relief alternatives'' who are the kidding?

bunch idiot's

then it says close to the bottom

To request a refill dial 1-800-849-3597 option #1 then enter your SS# then enter option # 2 and use the prescription # ....since this change your going to get this...''This prescription is not refillable at this time''.

Some other changes has to be made & I don't know what they have to do but this change is not going to work! in my opinion.

but I guess I shouldn't complain I've always been crazy its kept me from going insane....Waylon Jennings

Edited by britton