VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

This New Change Medicaton Changes?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I understand it that the VA Pharmacy will no longer refill schedule II narcotic medication hydrocodone (pain meds) but every 28 days as of Oct 6th 2014...before this change I got prescriptions via mail with 6 months of refills...I live to far from the VAMC to go there ever 28 days to see a VA Doc to get a 28 day supply...This applys to both VA & Retail

I can understand the concern of addictive potential, but when some one is in pain and that's bout all you can take to help grrr..Just another way cutting back on spending and it sucks for us vets that need it..for pain that is!

Edited by britton

This withdraw does suck. I might ask about getting a weeks script tomorrow when I go get my blood work and drug test done. At least I got my blood pressure pill today when the pulmonary doctor saw me. She said that it was stupid that the Dr would not do it since I had not seen him in a while. My BP was 158/106. With the wearing of heavier clothes, shoes and the edema in my legs, I gained over 10 pounds in a week. I don't know how I am gonna do my homework feeling like shit. I can understand that some people drug seek, but damn. To make me wait 10 days without just because of principal sucks. They could have fit me in sometime. If it gets worse tomorrow I will go to the ER. Sometimes my doctor is like a robot without any human emotion or compassion.

• In Memoriam

This is very funny cause the VA use to ship this to me fed x, signed for, This was about 6 years ago. Then they stopped it, now they are starting this again. Just looked at the scrip mine is hydrocodone now. I am going to get the percocet

Wonder if the Percocet I got on my last er stroke will be in this class. It worked good for me. I am going to get this from the VA or go to the outside. I can take an ambulance to er every time I am in pain. I am life time member of some hellicopter service here in arkansas. Yea, it is Air Evac.

Maybe I will become addicted to the hellicopter ride to Washington Regional. Wheeeeee. They land right across the street from me and have gurney right into the chopper.

Since when did the VA become concerned about saving Veterans lives. The VA bean counters just wants cheep.

Edited by Stretch

• HadIt.com Elder

I uI used to have to fill out a form every month and submit it to my PCP to get refills of oxycodone and fentanyl patches. Now I don't know what is happening? I ask if I need to keep sending in the form and the VA won't answer me. They do say I have to see them face-to-face every three months for narcotic meds. The VA is so screwed up and I am really sick of it. If not for free pills I would just walk away. You know I have bags and bags of pills like every vet I guess.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

Same here john999, the free meds save me about 700$$ month or more! altho I get my injection (syringes) at Wal-Greens cheap cheap

Stretch I'm thinking Percocet is a # II Narcotic also so yes it applies to the new change.

I believe the VA Dr's hands are tied on this one.

I am going to ask my new pcp next month when I go for a 6 month check-up does this mean we have to start getting 3 month check-up/ to get our prescriptions refilled? if it can be that way then maybe it be ok you can just order via phone I'm thiking maybe?

maybe not - if not then this new change will sure have a lot of problems for the Vets.

If we have to see a VA doc every 28 days for our pain meds...that puts a hardship on thousands of Veterans... for some veterans it's so hard for them to get out and travel due to there disability and their pain & some vets can't afford to travel altho they can get travel pay...see that's cost effective too.

We all know how long the wait is at VAMC usually an all day adventure.

The DEA and the Federal Government is doing this because in my opinion they think every veteran will become addictive to these meds or think they abuse the meds or resale or whatever they think ...Well what else is the vet to do? he can't help it if he got messed up in the wars or be disable...We have pain and the VA in my opinion don't care anymore and the first veteran dies because of this idiot change in Government...Congress needs to intervene with a different change

Edited by britton

• In Memoriam

Everytime there is a rash of suicide or other problems the VA has to prove they are doing something about it. They won't publish the methods of the suicides so in an effort to look like they are doing something they start digging for something to limit, to look like they are doing something. In fact the VA is in so much denial that they have no idea what they are doing. It is like they have forgotten about reality.

On my last C&P exam the APN said that after every joint that I did not have muscle atrophy. She said that the 5 broken bones in my cervical neck were congenital. I told SECVA secretary that I am bald so this recent 45 pound loss could not have been loss of hair, and that I was not born with a broken neck. This APN has obviously been told to lie, but her lies were so far out a 2 year old could see that they were wrong.

This is one poor gal who has told so many lies that she has forgotten how to tell a lie that is even close to reality. I will be glad when they get over this foolishness.

I gave everyone a heads up of this sometime ago you will drug test at least once a year

to get your pain meds and that's everywhere. VA says exercise, walk, do something physical

therapy, acupunctures, or a non narcotic pain meds. I find it to help me with my pain is a mile walk

on treadmill and about thirty minutes with my bow-flex and it helps a lot with my back pain. The meds

they give is Etodolac,and Diclofenac if you can take them they works great. One thing I learn is don't

take your narcotics if you are not in PAIN I always put some up I have about three 90 pill bottles from VA

that will last maybe a year and a half. You got to get smart on them try advill or two if it helps fine save your

narcotics for a real bad day. I don't see this changing no time soon.

jeffperry1134 if you are having withdrawal problem get to ER for help when I quit narcotic patches cold turkey

it wasn't good but I made it. IF your can make it through 4-5 days with no sleep you kick the habit, sleeping pills

would help its hard and wouldn't advise anyone to try this.This is just what I did myself and I don't like a lot of pills.

Do something to help with pain I had it now 11 years I know. We have to find something to get your mind off that word PAIN. jmho