VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Representative Payee

Rate this question

Barbamatt

Question

I just finally got my SSDI and got my first check last month.....all seemed to be going well for me....but I got a call from SSA today and the lady told me that I would have to get a representative payee to manage my SSDI checks.

I have to go to the SSA office sometime in the near future to arrange all the paper work. Unknown to me the ALJ put in his decision that "A recommendation that a determination be made concerning the appointment of a representative payee who can manage payments in the claimant's interest"

They further told me that they have withheld my back pay until the determination is made...but she was talking like they already want me to have one. This totally sucks.

I don't have a fiduciary for my VA money. I have been managing my VA check just fine. My bills are paid and I am starting to pay off some of my past debt. I really haven't had a lot of money to pay past debts, but now that I am receiving both VA and SSDI I should be able to pay them off in a matter of time.

I am scared for two reasons...one if they determine that I have improved enough to manage my own money then they can review if I am disabled enough to get SSDI in the first place....and for the second reason. If SSA is making me get someone to manage that will the VA jump on the same band wagon and make me get someone to manage my VA check?

What can I do. This will be a total inconvenience. I was looking at many of the rules to having a representative payee and they are tough. Most left over money after paying bills will have to go into an interest account or savings bonds...my payee wouldn't be allowed to just give me money either...they have to account for every cent....this is a lot of added stress.

I get my disability for a mental condition...but it is Major Depression. I have episodes but I really don't need that much control over my money.

Sorry if this came across as a rant....I just had a lot to say about it. Any advice is appreciated.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question