VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Rating From Va, Trying To Finish In Reserves Or Ang?

Rate this question

Chris16365

Question

My advance apologies if this is not the correct forum for my question, as I could not identify the perfect forum title for this type of inquiry. My question is that I have 14 years total active duty time (USMC) broken up over the last 25 years. I last left active duty in 2011 at age 40. I wont bore anyone with the reasons as to why I would leave with only needing six more years to a pension, but it has to do with my wife being in a different branch (Army LtCol) and our two branches no longer being able to work together and "co-assign" us to a location where we can both serve. Army and Marines together is about Wash DC and Hawaii only (places where we could both go). Her being an Army doctor, it was decided I would get out as we have two young daughters.

We are now moving north (NY) as the wife has finished her obligation, I have been looking into possibly serving those six more years I need in either the Reserves or Air National Guard. Im currently 43, but from what I understand I can subtract my 14 years active from my age, thus Im magically 29?

But my real question is this, upon getting out of the Corps, I got a total of 40% disability rating from the VA. 30% for PTSD, and 10% for an elbow surgery I had on active duty. Can anyone lend some advice or input as to my best angle of attack? Im reading some stuff online that says I need to contact the VA and have them cancel my payments (roughly $1100 monthly), Im seeing other stuff that says I need to ask the VA to drop me down to 30% to gain eligibility into the Reserves or ANG, and lastly tonight I read something that said I can serve in the NG, ANG or Reserves with a VA rating, but I would need to subtract my VA payments from the number of days I serve on weekend drills etc. so as to not be "double dipping". Seems I cant find a straight answer, but I have to assume some fellow vets have tried or looked into this and have the same situation as me. The smart thing to do would have been to join the Marine Corps Reserves when I was separating in 2011, as it was offered to me, but of course I was stupid and declined.

Any and all input from someone truly "knowledgeable" in this area would be greatly appreciated. As for asking a recruiter, amazingly I have been unable to get one to call me back in over a week, guess they are all "making mission this month".

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Stretch, appreciate the feedback. I absolutely can work, as of now I run a business from home (ecommerce) and it does ok for me, but I do plan to get involved in something more conventional once we get up to NY. I am in a very fortunate position where I dont overly need the money, thus can be picky as to what I do. Going to look into some possible GS openings in the area. My PTSD is a bit of a long story, it certainly has not gotten any worse, in fact I was more than prepared to have my claim cancelled all together if thats what it took to re-enter into the guard or reserves, but was told today thats not an option. I was a bomb dog handler in the Marine Corps (K9) so I have been thinking of starting a related business in the civilian sector as well. Just a shame I can not serve in any capacity, I miss it and was pretty good at it. I feel I would be an asset to a guard unit, but what can you do? A Happy Vets Day to you as well, much appreciate your service to our country!

chuck57thSig, I would bet you have been to the area we currently live in, (Augusta, GA)? Obviously from your handle I am assuming you were Signal in the Army, this probably did your training here at Ft. Gordon? I also appreciate your input, I did think about a GS job, had not thought about a State Job, although basically the same tactic. We are moving to an area very close to West Point, so I have been looking at some on base GS openings. Im not entirely sure how the "buy back time" works, I dont believe I could retire after six years like as if I was back on active duty, someone told me its a bit more complicated than that? I will certainly find out. What exactly is SSDI/SSI? Thanks for the info as well, and appreciate your service, Happy Vets Day!!

Chris, I was kind of sure that the PTSD would prevent re enlistment but yesterday I talked to a friend, last night , 4 years AD, then 32 years USN Reserves,Commander Ret., and he said exactly what these vets here said.

I commend you for wanting to continue your service but as Chuck said ,that 14 years would be a great asset of you work for the Feds and do the buy back.

My daughter, 7 years USAF, works for DOD and they started deductions for her buy back from her paycheck but at some point, the balance was about 2 thousand and she paid it all off herself.She can literally retire from DOD before she hits 40 years of age.

(She loves her job and has no early retirment plans at all- DOD- NSA)

SSDI is Social Security Disability Insurance. If SSA deems one totally disabled they can apply and receive it depending on their work history.

SSI is similar but based on low income.

The buy back is a little complicated and maybe I can find a web site on that.She had 7 years AD, has at least 10 years at DOD so far, equalling under the buy out, less than 3 years to retire from the Government with 20 years of service.....

Your life is just Beginning! You will get Civil service preference too from what I see here.

THANK YOU for your Service and Happy Veterans Day to you too

Edited by Berta

Happy Veterans Day to you also, and thanks to each of you for your service and dedication.

Chris and Berta, the reason I mention working for the "state" specifically is because, in some situations like mine if I'm correct, If I work a federal job for 8 years after "buying back my time" (which I believe is actually just paying in what you would have contributed to SSA for the years you are buying back?) and retire at 20 years. The VA would offset my retirement pay with the disability I receive. I may be wrong maybe the rules changed, but that being the case fed retirement wouldn't do me any good, however, state retirement is from a different entity. There would be no problem drawing FULL state retirement and my full disability amount at the same time.

Berta, I've seen CRDP (Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay) mentioned several times on here. As far as I know, you have to be a regular or reserve retiree or be Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) to be eligible for CRDP, is this correct?

Again, thank you all for your service and please do something to enjoy YOUR Veterans Day - I am taking my son (also a veteran) to Denny's for a free Breakfast on Denny's!

Berta

Thank you very much for your input. I currently have a couple old Marine buddies that are still on active duty, making some calls for me, seeing if their is any waiver for Marine Reserve Duty. If nothing else, would love to get involved in something State or Federal that offers a buy back.

ChuckSig, interesting point with regards to the differences with Fed and State buy back policies. Definitely looking into some State positions. Thanks again!