VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Collecting Va Benefits, Still Trying To Serve

Rate this question

Chris16365

Question

My advance apologies if this is not the correct forum for my question, as I could not identify the perfect forum title for this type of inquiry. My question is that I have 14 years total active duty time (USMC) broken up over the last 25 years. I last left active duty in 2011 at age 40. I wont bore anyone with the reasons as to why I would leave with only needing six more years to a pension, but it has to do with my wife being in a different branch (Army LtCol) and our two branches no longer being able to work together and "co-assign" us to a location where we can both serve. Army and Marines together is about Wash DC and Hawaii only (places where we could both go). Her being an Army doctor, it was decided I would get out as we have two young daughters.

We are now moving north (NY) as the wife has finished her obligation, I have been looking into possibly serving those six more years I need in either the Reserves or Air National Guard. Im currently 43, but from what I understand I can subtract my 14 years active from my age, thus Im magically 29?

But my real question is this, upon getting out of the Corps, I got a total of 40% disability rating from the VA. 30% for PTSD, and 10% for an elbow surgery I had on active duty. Can anyone lend some advice or input as to my best angle of attack? Im reading some stuff online that says I need to contact the VA and have them cancel my payments (roughly $1100 monthly), Im seeing other stuff that says I need to ask the VA to drop me down to 30% to gain eligibility into the Reserves or ANG, and lastly tonight I read something that said I can serve in the NG, ANG or Reserves with a VA rating, but I would need to subtract my VA payments from the number of days I serve on weekend drills etc. so as to not be "double dipping". Seems I cant find a straight answer, but I have to assume some fellow vets have tried or looked into this and have the same situation as me. The smart thing to do would have been to join the Marine Corps Reserves when I was separating in 2011, as it was offered to me, but of course I was stupid and declined.

Any and all input from someone truly "knowledgeable" in this area would be greatly appreciated. As for asking a recruiter, amazingly I have been unable to get one to call me back in over a week, guess they are all "making mission".

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet