VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Relief From The Brady Act?

Rate this question

ledbthand

Question

I just Got a letter last week stating that I am in fact incompetent. They basically said no problem getting my wife set up as my fiduciary, but as far as another friend or family member it's practically impossible. Also apparently because I have "trouble managing my own finances" I can no longer own a gun or ammo unless I face fines and jail time.

My only real hope now is to file for "Relief from the Brady Act". I don't know. As if life wasn't sucking enough you know?

My question is,

How hard is it to get relief from the brady act? I can't think of any reason why my inability to count my own money (bullshit btw) would constitute the need to take away my gun privileges? Is there basically a template letter you can copy / paste or is this a long drawn out fight I'm probably going to lose?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Mike did they bump you up to 100% when they said you were incompetent? This gun crap has already started trouble with my dad, he's been demanding I mail him all my guns. Somehow the shotgun he bought me last year means he's entitled to own all my guns.... I'd rather not get rid of them, but If I have to, I'd just rather sell them then deal with the greed drama.

• HadIt.com Elder

Best thing for that is to get them to reconsider fiduciary even if your wife really does manage the money.

Good Luck

They put me at 100% on my initial claim. As far a as relief from Brady Act I suspect they would revview your suicidal ideation and homicidal ideation.

Sliding slope? May wanna be careful with this... just a thought but - Basically you have to tell them that you not incompetent, BUT by saying you're not incompetent you're also telling them things about your disability level that you may not want them to hear... possibly resulting in lower rating, etc...