VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Hagel Memo (Re Oth Vietnam Vets)

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Someone asked...I forget where

They mean Chuck Hagel , Secretary of Defense...

Here it is:

http://www.defense.gov/news/OSD009883-14.pdf

This is not a directive yet but is going to alter the lives of many Vietnam Veterans . The lawyers at Yale LS and other advocates are calling it the "Hagel Memo" to clarify this is still a work in progress.

More info here:

http://www.defenseone.com/management/2014/09/dod-will-reconsider-thousands-vietnam-vets-discharge-statuses/94037/

And discussed here at our November 5th Radio show with Jennifer Mc Tiernan.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Berta,

i am sure there are some living veterans of wars prior to Vietnam that had undiagnosed PTSD and were given less than honorable discharges. It seems like the Hagel Rule should also apply to living veterans who served prior to Vietnam. JMO

I am was trying to help a Vietnam vet with this but have decided to hold off until there is more guidance. Right now from what I've read is that it is almost impossible. You have to really have everything straight and it too is a long process. Please keep us updated on this. I'm so happy they have decided to work on this injustice to our Vietnam vets. I an quite sure this will include other war time vets as well.

I hope so, but their focus at this point (Yale LS) is Vietnam vets and OTHs.

If they hear from other vets thibgs could change and the Sheperd case is different friom the class action they are still waiting for certification on.

Also I mentioned on the show how this could impact the 2010 PTSD regs...which ,in my opinion, are still unfair.

Also They not have considered widows/widowers of these affected veterans (as far as I know) who should be eligible for DIC if their veteran's OTH PTSD had evidence from private shrinks, that showed they were PTSD at 100% for a ten year period prior to their death.

Some of those veterans might have died from AO disabilities too as well...

These affected veterans were not able to seek and succeed in VA Comp claims because of their bad paper. Their families were affected tremendously.

As I might have said on the show, this can open a big can or worms, that could really become a major positive result for THOUSANDS.

Maybe we should write to Secretary Hagel about this. Before this becomes an actual regulation or directive.,that VA could perhaps screw up. It should not discriminate against any other war vets , but this stuff is like many battles that attempt to gain real estate from an enemy.......

they are often won by yards and not by miles.

They got a settlement for this OTH vet who sued the Army:

http://www.law.yale.edu/news/17619.htm

And I posted their Discharge Review info here somewhere.

Bump