VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spinal Stenosis

Rate this question

Fat

Question

I recently had an MRI for a small disc bulge (between L4 and L5). I was noted to have spinal stenosis which is a hereditary degenerative condition.

I don't think the condition occurs instantly and often just deteriorates until it become a debilitative issue.

I'm sure the issue was present on active duty, but I have no records substantiating this.

Is spinal stenosis a presumptive condition even if it is discovered years later after leaving active duty?

All comments are welcome.

Spinal stenosis can also occur from injuries, infections or tumors.

"I'm sure the issue was present on active duty, but I have no records substantiating this."

Why do you believe your issue was present during your military service?

Did you have any back injuries, back infections or back tumors during your military service and were they documented?

I am not aware of spinal stenosis being a presumptive condition. However, it could be considered a secondary condition caused by a service connected condition.

• HadIt.com Elder

Fat, whoever told you spinal stenosis is a condition casued by heredity is full of Bull. Spinal stenosis is caused by a disk bulging into the thecal sac impinging the sack and sometimes the bulge protrudes far enough to compress the actual spinal cord. These conditions are service conectable if you have had an accident or injury in service. The effected nerves are also to be rated on a separate basis.

Some VA folks will tell you any bullshit story to sidetrack a vet or keep them from filing a claim.

I also have spinal stenosis , if it gives you alot of trouble . which if it isn't soon will. The Va will start by giving you pain shots to try to block the nerve from sending it's message ( pain ).

Those did not work for me , next step was the spinal epidural along with chiropratic sessions . The epidural generally last about 3-4 months . There pretty adamant about only giving 3 a yr (epidurals).

Just thought i would throw this info out there if your having pain issues.

Sgt Sandman

ps . the epidural has done great for me.

I don't believe it is hereditary, it comes from the abuse we put ourselves thru . When working or playing and not thinking we are doing any damage to our backs

Sgt Sandman

Look for something that states acquired stenosis or to that effect. VA likes to play with terms especially degenerative changes. I like that one because the degenerative changes they mention in decisions point to the fact that it is only by old age or trauma that this condition would exist. Well if you are only 30-40 years old you shouldn't have issues like that unless there has been a traumatic injurY JMO

• HadIt.com Elder

I I have cervical spinal stenosis which can just give me a fit at times. I have had shots which did not work for me. The idea that stenosis is hereditary is absurd. I got mine from my work at the post office. I worked in cramped position which stressed out my neck and shoulders. The only thing left for me is probably surgery that would be something major like fusion of a few discs in my neck. I resist that option for as long as possible. I am almost 65 so I am trying to live with it. If I was 30-40 I would do something about it. I spent years trying to get a DX that explained the pain at the base of my neck that radiated down my shoulder. I had had a shoulder surgery and that helped with my shoulder problem but not the other problem that flew under the radar. I had doctor's tell me they just had no idea what was wrong with me. Finally a few years ago something showed up on my MRI indicating stenosis in cervical spine. You can go online and see the procedure being done. They cut into your throat and remove the offending disc and then put in some hardware and fuse the joints. You wear a neck brace for a month and maybe the pain stops.

John