VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are Dr.s Using Dea Rule As Excuse, Or Opportunity To To Stop Meds?

Rate this topic

Abt a month ago, I recieved a letter from VA saying hydrocodone was going to be a schedule 2 narcotic, and a new prescription would need to be written every month.

A couple of weeks ago I got a call from my doctor and was told " The VA is no longer supporting hydrocodone for chronic pain conditions. You will recieve one partial tapering dose, then switched to Tramadol."

Ok heres my question , why would the VA send me a letter telling me to message or call in my prescription 10 days in advance because of anticipated increased appointments due to new DEA rules, then a month later im being told that the VA as a whole, in totality, no longer supports administering hydrocodone for chronic pain?

Edited by 63SIERRA

Consequentally, my back hurts like hell , pain shooting down legs into my feet, my depression has increased, and the tramadol gives me headaches and vivid dreams that make me jump. I also feel " loopy" and disconnected with the Tramadol.

Edited by 63SIERRA

• HadIt.com Elder

yes Its a screwd up deal...were all wishing and hoping that the new Sec of VA '' Robert (Bob) McDonald'' will get all this straighten out ASAP!

They cant use us like animals to go fight this countrys wars, and then when we are done and come home with our wounds, just manipulate the regulations in order to deny us care. Heres what I believe is really going on.

Several years back, when we were on somewhat friendly terms with the Taliban, the Us GOVT made a deal with the Taliban to destroy the poppy plants in Afghanistan in trade for US support against Al Queda. The Taliban destroyed most of the poopy plants, from which opiates are derived/. Poppys dont grow just anywhere, and the specific Poppy from which opiates are derived is specific. (hydrocodone is made from opiates). So are most other heavy painkillers. Ok the other place where opiate poppys are grown is China. We arent on good terms with China, S0

it doesnt take a rocket surgeon to figure things out SUPPLY/DEMAND controls price.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/may/20/taliban-destroy-poppy-afghan-opium

Edited by 63SIERRA

• In Memoriam

Heres my theory. They are putting the hydro's in a shrinker machine. They will keep shrinking them up for many months and then finally send one big white jelly bean. YUP, that could be what it is.

All kidding aside. This is really a rotten mess. Pain needs to be dealt with and not with some VA fairy tale.

Abt a month ago, I recieved a letter from VA saying hydrocodone was going to be a schedule 2 narcotic, and a new prescription would need to be written every month.

A couple of weeks ago I got a call from my doctor at Temple texas VAMC and was told " The VA is no longer supporting hydrocodone for chronic pain conditions. You will recieve one partial tapering dose, then switched to Tramadol."

Ok heres my question , why would the VA send me a letter telling me to message or call in my prescription 10 days in advance because of anticipated increased appointments due to new DEA rules, then a month later im being told that the VA as a whole, in totality, no longer supports administering hydrocodone for chronic pain?

Well it's sure is not working that way at Bay Pines VAMC.

I'd go see this doc or do a secure message to them thru myhealthevet

and request a copy of the Memo or whatever the heck the doc is basing this on.

I'd tell the doc - the hydrocodone is the ONLY thing that works for me - look at my arms - I'm not booting it -

I do not sell it or abuse it.

Write me a monthly script for 60 - 10 mg pills and I will break them in half - take a half and if in an hour

my pain level has not decreased to become tolerable - I will take the other half.

This was personally what I did - no longer a problem - my PCP writes a new script each month -

although I do need to call the CBOC to remind her.

Hope this helps a vet.

jmho