VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are Dr.s Using Dea Rule As Excuse, Or Opportunity To To Stop Meds?

Rate this topic

They won't say what there reason is?

when something is not broke why try to fix it? that's what this is about with the DEA or their just showing there ''power' I guess they think were selling/or abuse the meds. my question is how the heck do they know? altho blood test will show if your using it, but that don't prove your selling it or abuse it'

My next Dr appointment is next month I'm going to ask my VA Dr if he is cutting me off my hydro and ask why? and if he can't prescribe for at least 3 months why?, because going to see the VA Docs once a month to refill my pain meds eh! ..Well whats a veteran to do? .

carlie I may start using your VAMC.

People need to understand -

IT's A LAW THAT THE DOCTOR's CAN ONLY WRITE RX's FOR HYDROCODONE ONE MONTH

AT A TIME ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

The docs must write a brand new rx every month, no refills/ so what that does is cause it to be a pain in the ass for the doc, thats what DEA wanted to do. So if makes the docs more accountable. It is not our fault, the docs chose thier profession. If they cant handle it, they should go somewhere else, or get thier big union involved to make the DEA to cut them some slack. If the doctors are "too busy" to handle the new regulations and still provide acceptable care, then either the VAMC need to hire more staff, contract it out , or fold the damend tent and give all vets a private health care card.

ATTACHED is the letter they sent me, 2 weeks before the dr called and told me the VA NO LONGER SUPPORTS HYDROCODONE FOR CHRONIC PAIN.

I think you have taken something completely out of context as I see absolutely

nothing at all in the letter that relates to "VA NO LONGER SUPPORTS HYDROCODONE FOR CHRONIC PAIN."

The ONLY thing I see in the letter is the VA will be following the DEA ruling / change in law

and clear instructions on exactly how to continue getting your hydrocodone in a timely manner.

Not one word could I find in the letter to support in any way.

"VA NO LONGER SUPPORTS HYDROCODONE FOR CHRONIC PAIN."

Someone please correct me if I 'm missing something on this one.

jmho

Some background, my arm was ripped out of socket during a training exercise that caused nerve damage in my long thoraic nerve that runs down my neck and has affected my scapula to that it grinds and pops when I move my arm. Now, 13 years later, I just left from the VACC in Pensacola today and was told by my primary care doctor that if I don't elect to have surgery on my left arm then I will not be able to receive hydrocodone pain medication to treat my service connected disability.

I had surgery in 2006 and spend 9 months dealing with excruciating pain trying to recover, now the symptoms are back again. To tell a patient to have surgery or suffer is akin to extortion and I don't know what to do -- should I contact a lawyer?

I think you have taken something completely out of context as I see absolutely

nothing at all in the letter that relates to "VA NO LONGER SUPPORTS HYDROCODONE FOR CHRONIC PAIN."

The ONLY thing I see in the letter is the VA will be following the DEA ruling / change in law

and clear instructions on exactly how to continue getting your hydrocodone in a timely manner.

Not one word could I find in the letter to support in any way.

"VA NO LONGER SUPPORTS HYDROCODONE FOR CHRONIC PAIN."

Someone please correct me if I 'm missing something on this one.

jmho

Carlie im quoting EXACTLY WHAT MY DOCTOR TOLD ME WHEN HE CALLED ME. HE IS THE ONE WHO TOLD ME

"THE VA NO LONGER SUPPORTS ADMINISTERING HYDROCODONE FOR CHRONIC PAIN"

I myself havent found a law or regulation that states what he says either. Im investigating though.

I NEVER SAID THATS WHAT THE LETTER SAID, YOU MADE THAT LEAP.

I only posted the letter to show what I had been sent, which says nothing abt the VA not supporting hydro anymore. Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by 63SIERRA

Some background, my arm was ripped out of socket during a training exercise that caused nerve damage in my long thoraic nerve that runs down my neck and has affected my scapula to that it grinds and pops when I move my arm. Now, 13 years later, I just left from the VACC in Pensacola today and was told by my primary care doctor that if I don't elect to have surgery on my left arm then I will not be able to receive hydrocodone pain medication to treat my service connected disability.

I had surgery in 2006 and spend 9 months dealing with excruciating pain trying to recover, now the symptoms are back again. To tell a patient to have surgery or suffer is akin to extortion and I don't know what to do -- should I contact a lawyer?

A perfect example of doctors using every excuse they can come up with, to take vets off pain meds, so they dont have to keep up with writing the monthly RXs.. Maybe the va is hoping suicides will increase because vets are suffering in pain, so they dont have to pay compensation. last count was 22 vets commit suicide a day. that is over 600 a month/

I went to see my Dr. on Nov 6th and I had my brother take me b/c I am unable to walk or stand. Me and him have been discussing why he is weaning me down from my Methadone to a totally

ineffective dose. I have been on this medication successfully for the past 12 or 14 years now and not once have I had any, not one problem with anything or anybody, never violated my

contract, no unclean urines in all this time..took them as prescribed. Even talked to the Medical Director on about 4 or 5 occasions at the Fayetteville, Ark. VA and was told it is happening all over the VA system. I received Hydrocodone as a breakthrough pain reliever but never took them unless absolutely necessary, I could get my relief totally from my Methadone but when they started weaning me down I had to rely on them. They have a conversion rate of morphine to Methadone and also to Hydrocodone, personally I cannot understand it, but it use to be so much morphine to methadone down to 300 mg then it went to 200 mg, now my Dr. tells me what is coming down the pike is conversion down to 100mg equivalent of morphine, been on morphine does absolutely no good at all, neither does Fentanyl or any other narcotic except methadone. Anyway my Dr. when he said it was coming down I ask him not to take me down until it actually happens, then when I get home I see he refilled my meds on eBenefits pharmacy and the lying sack of **** took me down anyway. He kept asking me if I wanted certain

things like an eye exam, ear exam or go down to Florida for a 21 day in patient pain program or go to Little Rock for Steroid injections. He knows I cannot stand walk or travel unlessI have help. I receive Aid and Attendance and have been waiting on my appeal for 6 years now for a higher level. I receive the "M" rate right now but would like a little bit higher to

help pay for someone to come in daily. Last person stole all my narcotics but I couldn't prove it as I didn't see her but it was her. The doctor kept referring to my brother who was in the room with me stating, "You heard me ask him and he declined"..he must have said that about 10 times during my appointment, which accomplished absolutely nothing except lab work.

I hate to say this but this policy is here to stay and nothing is going to change it. It's all politics I think but that is another story. Also, I just can't believe 22 vets are killing themselves everyday, that just seems way out of proportion, that is 7200 veterans a year, in 10 years that is 72000 vets, I say BS to that story. When I get my medicare I will be

looking for an outside Doctor. Then my question does this apply to all Doctors are just the VA??