VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Choice Cards

Rate this question

Berta

Question

About the Program

Many Veterans will now have the option to receive non-VA health care rather than waiting for a VA appointment or traveling to a VA facility.

Beginning November 5, 2014, the new Choice Program will begin to cover non-VA care for eligible Veterans enrolled in VA healthcare. Veterans are eligible if any of these situations apply to you:

You have been told by your local VA medical facility that you will need to wait more than 30 days from your preferred date or the date medically determined by your physician

Your current residence is more than 40 miles from the closest VA health care facility

You need to travel by plane or boat to the VA medical facility closest to your home

You face a geographic challenge, such as extensive distances around water or other geologic formations, such as mountains, which presents a significant travel hardship

More info at:

http://www.va.gov/opa/choiceact/

• In Memoriam

I could not get the card for outside service either. Bernie Sanders is the dirty dog that is responsibe for this obsticle. here is how bernie got his start learning to taking money from veterans unions. This rat needs to be canned and does not deserve to serve veterans. This gives rats a bad name. He is really a vampire sucking blood for disabled vets bodies. Sanders 40 mile rule has nothing to do with helping or serving veterans in any way. This rule just has to do with the unions that he services in his high postion of government.

Sanders's political career began in 1971 when he joined the anti-Vietnam War Liberty Union Party (LU) in Vermont.

Bronco, you are right How would I know if Humana charged for it or not, and even then it is becoming very complicated with this BS.

You are also right about the massive amount of information that we have had to learn just to jump through this monsters hoops.

Edited by Stretch

• In Memoriam

I called the number also and somehow got a vet who said to call this number 1-877-222-8387 for help with elgibility and special something or other. Thats all I got on this.

I also called up McCains washington office. Complained about the draft dodger anti war organizing rat Sanders, making 40 mile rule for vets while he takes money from the employees union to keep Vets stuck with their VAMC for rotten help. I said Sanders does not deserve to be chairman of the senate Veterans committee, or even on the Veterans committee. Also said that senator McCain should change his mind on agreeing with Sanders about this 40 mile crap because it in no way help Veterans. Guess I am reallly pissed.

McCain By phone:

Phoenix - 602-952-2410 Washington - 202-224-2235

This whole 40 Mile crap was made so that hawaiian Veterans could get travel pay and go to any doctor they like from one island to the next disregarding rural veterans.

Edited by Stretch

• HadIt.com Elder

O have my 2 cents.

I don't have a choice card

I think anything that helps a veteran should appy/pertain to all veterans no matter if they live 1 mile or 100 miles if it helps a veteran out!

I live about 24 miles from my VAMC I don't qualify.

• HadIt.com Elder

I live in VT and Bernie Sanders isn't liked by the vets in my vets group. He's apparently done some shady stuff here and he's obviously a millionaire, now, thanks to his "government service." As for McCain, I have absolutely no use for him. He's never done anything for veterans, that I've been able to find. He's used his POW status to improve his life. When I went thru "escape and evasion," we were taught you were supposed to die rather than get caught. jmo

As to the new card, the VA sent me one but I don't know what for.

Stretch - as to Medicare paying, hospitals will usually bill Medicare, first. If the VA paid the bill and the hospital got paid by Medicare, the VA will get their money back and you could get stuck owing the co-insurance amount.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I got dental evaluation outside the VA. I already paid about $7500 bucks this year on my teeth which VA would not cover. I don't have a choice card. I got my outside referral by just complaining to everyone I could think of including congressman. When I use the VA system I get the creeps. I read stuff they write about me and I see lies and more lies. Every time I cancel an appointment it comes out as "Vet Missed Appointment". I should have got that card by now. I think it is all BS and just more public relations to hide the fact that most of us are getting substandard care or no care. I am lucky I have other insurance. Dealing with the VA is like getting your fingers stuck in something and you just can't shake it off. I am also lucky I made some good investments many years ago. VA is just a criminal organization to make a bunch of draft dodgers rich. The VA is a welfare program for VA employees.