VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File

Rate this question

jazyj

Question

I filled out a request to get my C-file, I checked all the boxes to request every thing they have for me. 4 months later I get five pages of realy nothing, just my entry forms. I called, they said I need to specify exactly what I need, I did check the medical record box on the form, but they said I need to specify which records and from which clinic and dates of all that I need, Can any one help and tell me how I can fill out the form so I get all my fie....Thanks.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Your c-file should contain your service records and any claims related documents. Your medical records should come from the VAMC (and never to two will combine unless you release your medical records to your claims people). The c-file will only have your medical records in there, if you've released them and the VSC requested them. It can take months for them to get from the VAMC to the VSC. jmo

When you request records, just request "all" and you can't go wrong.

pr

Folks:

Not sure what is going on with the VBA Regional Offices, but I hear a lot of Vets are having a tough time obtaining copies of their C-Files now? I understand in the past, it was not too difficult, but there there seems to be some kind of policy change now because Vets are spending almost a year now to get their C-Files? I actually tried to get an 'in person" appointment with the RO Customer service but was sent a messeage, "at this time VA cannot give a date"? My intent was to just go in, look at the file and ensure that everything I sent got into the file and move on from there. Earlier, I sent in a very detailed "hard copy" claims with tabs, glossary, etc..but found that it was all disassembeled by a contractor and scanned into the new VBMS Electronic System? I've heard some recent horror stories of vets that get claims denied and when they check...a large amount of the evidence that they provided was not in their C-Files? Anyway, I sent the RO a couple of emails via IRIS and only got the same bolierplate messages. So, I decided to convert the request into a "Hard Copy" FOIA which has a legal requirement of 20 business days to provide the informaiton. As a Former FOIA Officer for many years, legally the request cannot be ignored but I'm learning that some Vets are now taking almost a year to get a copy of their C-files? Frankly, I was trying to the easiest and most efficient review of my files but....the current system does not seem to allow that? Right now, I'm at 4 months and still now C-file...especially when the "law" requires action within 20 business days....why work harder, when they could just work smarter?

Edited by rootbeer22