VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Keep On Working?

Rate this question

guillo

Question

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Guest rickb54

If you are able you should keep on working. But no one can say if you should or should not work that is a decision you have to make based on your ability to continue working. If you really feel you cannot work, you should see a doctor and get a medical opinion before you quit. Do not just quit.

Now if you think you would be better off not working just because TDIU compensation isn't bad... think again. Many of us on TDIU or 100% lost money when we had to quit work, and we will never see a pay raise again, which means your on a fixed income that doesn't go far. Most of us rated TDIU or 100% would give anything to return to work. Hell most of us will die at a young age partly becasue we do not work. If you do stop working.. say goodbye to all your friends and co-workers... because no one wants to be around a sick person... and because if your not out in the work force people forget about you. Also be ready for your neighbors to start talking behind your back, saying thinks like freeloader, lazy bum, welfare daddy and many other things that do not apply but then all these people know is your not working.... Also if someone knows your condition.. do not be surprise if the question you cutting your grass, or working on your car or working in your wood shop, some even go as far as to try to report you to the VA or social security to see if they can help you lose your compensation... there are a lot of mean ignorant people in this world....

so if you can really work than work other wise do what you need to do to support your family, remember noone really knows your abilities except you and and maybe yor doctor.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are a federal employee you can always apply for disability retirement if the time comes when you cannot work. Prepare yourself for disability. Pay off your bills and mortgage. Stay out of debt and create an emergency pile of money for the time while you wait for the IU and your SSDI to kick in. These things take time. If you suspect that you are not going to be able to make it to regular retirement get your plan together now. I would really avail myself of VA services and be sure to complain about your conditions every time you go to see a VA doctor. Accept all the pills they give you even if you don't take them otherwise you become cured. Going from 90% to IU or 100% is a short step. I would not quit work just to get disability. How many years to retirement and are you FERS or CSRS? In a sense you have a pretty good deal. You get a fair size check from Uncle and you are working full time and getting that money plus you are able to put money in retirement accounts. You want a smooth landing not a crash landing into retirement. I and many others crash landed and it was not fun and made us nervous wrecks for a while. See if you can get long term disability insurance or even short term disability insurance through your union or the feds. These are group plans and will pay something while you wait for IU and the rest.