VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Does Our Spouse Get Superior Care?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

As most 100% Vets know, our spouse is eligible for CHAMPVA. (We are not eligible, however, for unknown reasons).

Champva enables our spouse to go to the VA for care (if approved by the local VAMC) OR go get private care as this insurance pays for it.

However, 100% Vets must go to their VA for care and dont have the choice to go for private care and have insurance pay. (Exception: Vets choice, if you meet eligibility requirment of living too far away from VA, or cant get an appointment in 30 days and get your doc to give you a note that he is too busy to see you. (As required by VA choice) Its still unclear how your doc is gonna give you such a note if he is too busy to see you and you cant schedule an appointment in 30 days.

More choices for care = Better care. So, why do our spouses who did not serve get better care than we do, when we served? Should not all Vets get "Veterans choice"? Oh, I know why! This is because VA care is substandard and VA does not want to pay for the good stuff! If the VA were truly "world class health care" they would not need "Veterans choice".

I know Vets who wont set foot inside a VAMC and they have very valid reasons for this.

Lots of Vets recommend signing up for medicare Part B. So, why should a Veteran pay for insurance (part B) if he gets VA care for free? I found out the hard way...VA care is substandard. I still can not figure out why a Vets spouse gets better care than the Veteran. Did I miss something?

Its also becoming increasingly clear VA wants to dump some of its burden for caring for vets on medicare. The VAMC always asks if we have other policies or medicare. And, even Champva insists on the spouse having Part B medicare if eligible. (Remember, Part B medicare costs about $104 per month this year, that is, if you dont have late penalties for not siging up in time.)

This means that Champva is not free for medicare eligibles. They must pay $104 per month.

I will add that I want my wife to have good medical care. Definately. I dont want them to worsen her care, I want VA to raise the level of our care.

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

No when she uses the VAMC she has no co pay...if she uses a private Dr outside the VA ChampVA pays all but 25% We have to pay that but that's fine!

We're have problems with private Dr's that will accept ChampVA if they do we don't have a secondary... we can pay the 25% difference unless the Bill is run up into the thousands and medical cost can get expensive.

She had a seizure one time, I called ambulance they took her to the VAMC...we were not billed for that VA paid it all 800.00...one time she had another one and I called Amblaunce this was from another location but still in the same city the Ambulance would no take her to the VAMC As I requested They ended up taking her to a private Hospital Champ VA paid but only 250.00 of the Ambulance which they charge 1200.00 that time...?...

& same thing with the private Dr's ChampVA Paid them but didn't pay all that was billed the DR'S & ER was about 5.000.00 Champ VA Paid about 800.00 same with the Dr's that read the MRI'S...ChampVA Paid but only like 20% of what they billed..we went back and forth over this one for two years or so finally she called Champ VA & told them what was happening and I guess ChampVA got it straighten out...never hard from them private Dr's anymore they (private r & Hospital) they even got a Bill collector after us...my spouse always told them to file it with Champ VA...Which is what ChampVA told her to tell them..and not be stressing out about it...my spouse stress out over this medical stuff pretty bad.

Thank You georgiapapa & Right Back at you and yours buddy!

Edited by britton

britton,

I understand your frustration. With your wife's serious medical problems she certainly doesn't need the stress of worrying about medical bills. When she turns 65 she could get Medicare and have another insurance to go with her Champva. Of course she would have the Medicare Part B monthly premium which is currently $104.00. Medicare part A is free.

With your wife's medical problems, has she considered applying for SSDI? If she qualified for SSDI, it is my understanding she would become eligible for Medicare after a certain period of time even if she is under 65.

I hope things go well for you and your wife. Take care.

• HadIt.com Elder

yes she has consider ssdi the young Dr told her she would help her write a letter stating her health condition's,but in the last month or so the young Dr is not at the VAMC she left! eh!

my spouse still works and has a eazy job caregiver for an elder lady she just fixes her stuff to eat make sure she takes baths this elderly lady has 2 stage Alz but still gets around pretty good my spouse loves that job nice family and they do take taxes out of her check...so she wants to hang on to this job little longer or as long as she can the only time my spouse starts hurting is if she over does it or at the end of the day so this job she can just do things as she pleases and take her time she can go lay down rst ect,,ect,, its like she is just staying at her grandma house

Yes we know about the Medicare when she turns 65 but that's 5 years from now Thanks tho for that info!

She told me tonight she going to start looking for a private healthcare Dr that will take ChampVA And hope she gets a good understanding Dr that can help her with her Back& different medical problems or if not help with her pain she has already been in the VA Pain clinic they don't know what else to do for her? so were kinda at a stand still you might say she falls a lot already broke her leg, fell off a bicycle broke her arm..VAMC helped her with all that too!

All we know to do is keep looking for the right Dr and hope they tale ChampVA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Anybody know about or presently using ''ARMA'' ChampVA Supplemental Insurance? and If you do are you happy with them?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I would be happy if the VA would just pick up my costs after my private insurance. Hell, they always try to charge them for covering my service connected treatment anyway. At least this would even things out.