VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Results Don't Look Good.

Rate this question

kate7772

Question

Looks like my husband's claim for PTSD will be denied. He was diagnosed in Jan. 2914 through VA. Their Psychologist and Psychiatrist concurred on the diagnosis. Has been receiving therapy through PTSD counselor at VA since diagnosis. Counselor says he is a "mess." Severe PTSD and major depressive disorder.

Now the examiner says my husband's problems are the result of his physical health (kidney disease) that was diagnosed two years ago. It's true that the ### really hit the fan at that time with PTSD symptoms becoming more severe. His counselor explained the reason for this is because he had to cut his work schedule to less than 1/2 time and has more time to dwell on things. Counselor said this is a common occurrence with PTSD.

The C&P results have not been posted on Myhealthevet yet; DAV rep gave us this info. I know we will need to wait for the official rating but looks like a long process is in front of us and my husband has very severe and worsening issues at work as a result of the symptoms.

Do you think contacting the VA secretary would help?

Thanks

Kate

Would it be okay coming from me as his wife? Right now my husband is just a mess over this. May not be time to get a DBQ from the VA doctor before rating decision. Only met with the Psychologist and psychiatrist once each for opinion, memory testing and medication confirmation. Was in counseling and met regularly with PTSD clinical social worker and clinical nurse practitioner. Went through ten week counseling and urged to continue one on one or group. Strange to go through ten weeks of counseling for a problem this psychologist says doesn't exist.

Could copy/paste notes from Myhealthevet but I assume they have those (if they bother to read them.)

Kate,

The nurse practitioner works with the doctor. You should talk to her and explain the urgency of your husband's situation. Perhaps she will arrange to get the DBQs for you. If she will not help you, go straight to the doctors and try to get them to complete the DBQs. Even if you can't get into see them, leave them a note along with the blank DBQs with a request for them to complete the forms. You have nothing to lose and you probably still have enough time to get them in. Even if you do not get the DBQs, the reports from the two doctors and the NP should be enough to prove your husband has PTSD and it was diagnosed before his kidney disease.

Kate,

You can submit a statement in support of claim explaining your husband was diagnosed with PTSD a year before his kidney disease diagnosis and also point out the inaccuracies and omissions in the C & P examiner's report. Make sure you tell them you were present during the C & P exam. Definitely submit your statement. However, your statement will not carry the same weight as the doctors who diagnosed your husband's PTSD because you are not a medical expert and you would also be considered biased. Don't worry about the rater getting mad. Vets send in statements after their C & Ps. It is not that unusual. I sent in a statement pointing out an obvious error in my C & P report which was supported by my medical records. My claim was successful.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just hang in there kate7772,

Hadit members can truly help you guys it may take some time but you guys will win,

try not to stress to much its hard I realize but things will get better I see your hubby getting IU.

Things will work out!