VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Results Don't Look Good.

Rate this question

kate7772

Question

Looks like my husband's claim for PTSD will be denied. He was diagnosed in Jan. 2914 through VA. Their Psychologist and Psychiatrist concurred on the diagnosis. Has been receiving therapy through PTSD counselor at VA since diagnosis. Counselor says he is a "mess." Severe PTSD and major depressive disorder.

Now the examiner says my husband's problems are the result of his physical health (kidney disease) that was diagnosed two years ago. It's true that the ### really hit the fan at that time with PTSD symptoms becoming more severe. His counselor explained the reason for this is because he had to cut his work schedule to less than 1/2 time and has more time to dwell on things. Counselor said this is a common occurrence with PTSD.

The C&P results have not been posted on Myhealthevet yet; DAV rep gave us this info. I know we will need to wait for the official rating but looks like a long process is in front of us and my husband has very severe and worsening issues at work as a result of the symptoms.

Do you think contacting the VA secretary would help?

Thanks

Kate

Kate;

Don't give up! You are a wonderful woman for standing by your husband and I am sure he is well aware of this. There is a lot of sound advice in this thread!

I would make a copy of the C&P exam if it is available and I would find the documents indicating that your hubby was diagnosed with PTSD prior to the kidney problems and I would do as advised and get the NP to give you statement pertaining to hubby's treatment. If you can get the DBQ done I would do it ASAP. The more evidence you supply to the rater the better off you will be and one more thing - fill out the VA21-4138 (Statement in Support of Claim) on behalf of your hubby!

Hang in there!!!!

"When describing his military experiences, he fell apart, also something he never did before starting on this journey. He had never discussed any of this until starting counseling early this year. Now, he seems to dwell on it."

"It was denied because we did not include any evidence. Had a totally worthless VSO that just basically reduced the claim to one sentence. Nothing else. No surprise it was denied. When we attempted to do a reconsideration after the PTSD diagnosis, it was opened as a new claim. This was a year before the kidney issues and needing to reduce his hours. So, obviously not caused by the kidney issues!"

"Yes. Discharged in 1967"

Was he incountry, Vietnam? And when was he sent to Vietnam?

Was in Viet Nam 1965-1966

It seems that even with the last denied and then re=opened PTSD claim, he might not have revealed his inservice stressors.

Submitted 3 stressors, 2 involving attacks and death and one other. Examiner actually commented that his stressors were bad when he was breaking down. He was in close proximity to Marble Mountain during the attack also. VA was informed of all this.

Under the 2010 PTSD regulations, VA needs proof of stressors, unless he has decorations, awards, etc that are consistent with 'proximity to and fear of hostile activity'

We did send some proof and references we found online.

or proven by his MOS in Vietnam and/or proven by evidence of his stressors.

The IMO from Dr. Bash tht you popsted here was very good as to the Camp LeJeune situation (Bad Water).

If that claim is awarded it is possible any USMC vet with that type of award could be depressed or anxious due to the potential SC disability due to Bad Water at LeJeune....and could claim an MH issue as secondary to that..

That is under appeal and the examiner is saying the kidney disease is causing the "adjustment disorder." But, my husband filed for the symptoms of anxiety, irritability, etc one year before the kidney problems started. We just did not know to call it PTSD.

However, what I see here does not seem to involve a stressor.

My husband was USMC Danang 65-66 and he had quite a list of stressors.So I assume that with the 1967 discharge they might well have been in Danang at the same time during the war and it was a horrendous time to be there...well any TDY there was horrenedous....

Yes, he was in Danang at the same time, also USMC.

I also assume your husband had to have been Ops Starlight and Rolling Thunder based on his discharge date.

This was about 20 miles from his base, not directly involved.

Also Admiral Zumwalt changed the 3rd MAR DIV to 1st MAR DIV around this time..... it is good to know that because I dont know if all USMCs DD 214s replect that important identification.

Amd I also assume your husband had multiple stressors .The VA only will need proof of one.

Did he geta VCAA letter for the original PTSD claim or for the re opened claim,specifically telling him what he needed to succeed on this claim as evidence?

They did not reopen claim, instead started a new claim I assume since the first was not actually claimed as PTSD.

Was he awarded the Presidential Unit Citation ( I assume his unit got that but could be wrong)

Not sure

Did he every apply for a DD 215, because his DD 214 sure might be wrong.

No

I did many thesis on Vietnam when I was at AMU and found many unit histoys on line. Vietnam has been completely declassified.

If he needs proof of a stressor it might be easier than one thinks to find proof of it in the Morning reports and/or unit histories on line.

Then again he needs to read my posts here on Stressors and Buddy statements....

What I see is that there still might be evidence he needs to send to the VA........

I think we covered the evidence, the examiner just seemed stuck on the idea that the kidney disease is responsible for an "adjustment disorder"instead of PTSD despite the timeline of when the kidney disease started and when the symptoms were claimed. I think what is particularly troubling is that the examiner said it seemed my husband was "scripted and overstating his symptoms. I can see why he might see it this way because we had gone over and over things he needed to include due to problems with his memory when stressed. He knew the importance of not holding back so he didn't. Apparently the examiner didn't like that. And, the really hurtful part of that is that my husband is extremely honest, sometimes to the point of annoying. He didn't even want to file the claim because he felt he didn't deserve anything since he had all his limbs and so many don't. This kind of cemented that feeling for him.I did upload a letter to ebenefits last night, detailing everything. Still wonder if I should send a copy to the secretary of VA before it is rated.

Also, the rater stated that he didn't feel my husband had PTSD due to the fact of a stable loving marriage for 42 years? I love my husband but stable is overstating it. I am also not a quitter and would not give up on him because he had problems. And, he remained employed for much of the time? Yes, he did, at a lot of jobs and many hours, burying himself in work. That, according to his PTSD counselor is why things did not escalate until a couple years ago. And no treatment until 2014? Correct again. he refused to admit there was a problem until I gave him an ultimatum. But, according to the examiner, these are all reasons he could not have PTSD and it has to be an adjustment disorder, not service connected.

Edited by kate7772

Thanks for the reply ...I know this is stressful for you as well as for him....

And a C & P exam is only one part of the evidence they consider for a decision.....

I was not sure if he had sent them his stressor info.....and they better consider it!!!!!

Marble mountain will sure ring a bell with many vets here....

He has NOT been denied yet Kate 7772 and many here have overcome lousy C & P exams.

It is a travesty however that they even get lousy C & P exams in the first place.

Kate,

Shenseki was fired. The new VA secretary is Bob McDonald. His e-mail address: Robert.A.McDonald@va.gov

Make sure you put the periods before and after his middle initial.

Good luck

Kate,

Shenseki was fired. The new VA secretary is Bob McDonald. His e-mail address: Robert.A.McDonald@va.gov

Make sure you put the periods before and after his middle initial.

Good luck[/quote

Oh gosh! I knew that. Don't know what I was thinking. Yes, I meant Sec. Bob.

Thanks