VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gathering Of Evidence

Rate this question

rotanrorau

Question

I filed a claim and completed the QTC. My claim status is Gathering of evidence on ebenefits. This message appears in the needs attention field. Not sure what is needed. It also states a letter was mailed. Can anyone explain this message?????? Thanks

Our letter dated <date> asked you to furnish details regarding the stressful event(s) that caused your post traumatic stress disorder. The response we received does not meet the minimum level of detail needed for VA to seek assistance from the U.S. Army and Joint Services Records Research Center (JSRRC). JSRRC assists VA in verifying veteran's claimed stressful incidents when VA cannot verify the stressful incident based on records from the service department or when VA cannot obtain the necessary records from the service department. <br /> <br />It is important that you provide us with more specific details concerning your stressful event(s). Failure to respond or failure to provide a complete response to this request may result in a denial of your claim. Specifically, we still need: <br />*<insert information>.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

rotanrorau; what did you file the claim for? This would determine the type of information they need. If you filed your claim for PTSD, they need you to respond with your stressors so they can verify the events. If you filed for an injury sustained from an IED, they need date and time, witnesses, any "buddy letters" available... etc. If you have a VSO, he/she should be able to help you with this information.

Under the 2010 PTSD regulations, most non OEF vets ( and even some OEF vets as well) need to prove their stressor for PTSD claims.

My post here might help you. Although it is 3 years old , the conditions for stressors are still the same, for VA purposes.

Here is some info on Buddy statements:

Also, in your case, VA has not even checked with JSRRC yet.

"The response we received does not meet the minimum level of detail needed for VA to seek assistance from the U.S. Army and Joint Services Records Research Center (JSRRC"

I suggest that you give VA the details they need, try to get a Buddy statement, and write to JSRRC yourself.

I used to help local vets in my home or at the local VA and was shocked at how many times I saw VA make a statement that their stressor could not be verified via JSRRC.

That was often a different story when the vet wrote to JSRRC themselves. Sometimes VA says that but does not even contact JSRRC at all.

JSRRC contact info:

You need to supply a VA21-4138 (Statement in Support of Claim) detailing your situation about your PTSD from Active Duty to now. I would also suggest that you get any/all medical documentation to them showing your PTSD is/was in-service and that you are suffering to this day from it.

As you stated - wait to get the letter and make sure you respond ASAP! I would send all your documents to the RO via FedEx or registered mail and in addition upload on Ebennies. It never hurts to over send p/w to the VA!!! Remember you are your own best advocate!