VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus Delayed Onset - Bva Link With Some Info

Rate this question

carlie

Question

http://www.va.gov/vetapp12/Files3/1217299.txt

"As a final matter, the Board has considered certain language in Training Letter 10-02, a copy of which the Veteran has submitted. The Training Letter states, "Tinnitus is a symptom that is associated with many conditions, including acute noise exposure and noise-induced hearing loss, and that sensorineural hearing loss is the most common cause of tinnitus. However, the etiology of tinnitus often cannot be identified, because there are so many potential causes that it is impossible to select one. In addition to sensorineural hearing loss, other known causes are Meniere's disease, head injury (including traumatic brain injury), otosclerosis, cerebrovascular disease, neoplasms, numerous types of ototoxic medications, hypertension, kidney disease, dental disorders, and many other medical conditions." The training letter also notes that delayed-onset tinnitus must also be considered.

This Training Letter is merely an interpretative rule that lays out guidelines which serve to inform and educate adjudicators as to the possible causes of tinnitus, and they direct that the raters develop the record. See Nat'l Org. of Veterans' Advocates, Inc. v. Sec'y of Veterans Affairs, 260 F.3d 1365, 1375 (Fed.Cir.2001). It does not purport to establish any medical presumptions, nor is it considered to be substantive medical evidence. See e.g., Dyment v. West, 13 Vet. App. 141 (1999); Nolen v. West, 12 Vet. App. 347 (1999). "

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I think my previous research indicated that the Army and Marines did not offer any type of Hearing protection for Boots or Combat Arms in Nam other than possibly Cannon Cockers and Air Wing crews until late 70's. I can remember using spent 16 casings as ear plugs.

When I had my Hearing C&P back in 2008, the examiner opined my MOS and CAR award justified "as likely as not" caused Tinnitus and Hearing loss. Most Nam vets that I talk to are rated for Tinnitus and hearing Impairment SC 0%.

Semper Fi

Gastone

As a Marine cannon cocker, I was never provided any hearing protection in Vietnam. Reason given was we would not be able to hear firing commands and also not be able to hear the enemy approaching. Ridiculous reasoning because after firing the first round the only thing we could hear was the ringing in our ears.

I am currently rated at 10% for bilateral hearing loss and 10% for bilateral tinnitus.

In reading the BVA decision in Carlie's post, it appears the claimant had an inadequate IMO. The doctor failed to review the SMRs and also did not not provide any medical rationale to support his opinion.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just my opinion,

That's called ''noise induced hearing loss'' you lose your hearing over time and its not from getting older its from the loud noise from military days we never had ear protection either in nam and really never had time to plug our ears.