VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

So I Just Found Out I Was Awarded But..

Rate this question

asheth007

Question

The back pay amount is really low. I initially put in the claim in February 2014 did reconsideration in June after initial disapproval. I was retired from military in June of this year. I had exam on 28th October for SSA.

I was given the back pay today the lady on the phone that DDS made decision on the 6 November but I was selected for review blah blah. She said back oay was sent out and attorney paid so award letter will becoming soon.

The amount of backpack was $2999 wtf?

From my reading here it must be something with the onset date perhaps? I have this feeling they only gave me onset the day I retired from the military since it is technically the day I stopped working.

Any insight?

There is a 5 month waiting period when approved for ssdi before payment starts so you applied in Feb 2014 so that should have your first month being eligible for pay like Aug 2015 3 months of pay also minus the the attorney fees i dont know if this helps but i will put a link that will help you calculate what you should get hope it helps http://www.ssdfacts.com/CalcSSDI

Edit the SSDI is payed like the VA, pay for Aug is deposited in Sept one month behind

Edited by id_firefighter30

There is a 5 month waiting period when approved for ssdi before payment starts so you applied in Feb 2014 so that should have your first month being eligible for pay like Aug 2015 3 months of pay also minus the the attorney fees i dont know if this helps but i will put a link that will help you calculate what you should get hope it helps http://www.ssdfacts.com/CalcSSDI

Edit the SSDI is payed like the VA, pay for Aug is deposited in Sept one month behind

Thanks I will use that calculator when I get the award letter. I am greatful to be finished with this process and approved without having to reach the court level. Just seems strange because I claimed my condition happened in 2012 and my medical records support that. I just talked to a friend and he said that it goes by the day you applied also. I'll get a better idea when I see the award letter.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

+1 to jbasser about attorney costs being tax deductible!

I have binder and binder. So they told me that SSA didn't agree with the onset date of 2012. They determined onset as August 2014.

Are they crazy every piece of evidence supports 2012?

I think the fact that I didn't retire from military till June 15 is the issue even though all my medical evidence shows I was diagnosed in 2012. I have profiles from doctors with limited duties etc because of my condition.

The case worker said they will give the evidence to Mr. Binder and they will see if we have strong evidence to appeal onset. I would be very surprised if they don't fight this.

"I think the fact that I didn't retire from military till June 15 is the issue even though all my medical evidence shows I was diagnosed in 2012. I have profiles from doctors with limited duties etc because of my condition."

A SSDI onset date is often the last day you worked.

I assume that since you were still in the military, although you had a diagnosis, you still worked in the military until your discharge date....

But maybe I have that wrong....

If you have applied for TDIU (within this first year after your discharge),than I assume VA will use the date of your discharge for TDIU, if they award it.

The SSA award might be VERY probative to a TDIU claim.So, if solely for SCable conditions, make sure VA knows of it when you apply for TDIU.