VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssa Child Benefits

Rate this question

asheth007

Question

I'm reading the site and I'm a little confused. So I'll give me situation is that my daughter who is 17 lives with me and my son lives with his grandmother. What I know so far is ssa will garnish the pay to pay the child support. The site seems to infer there is some other sort of benefit that is also paid to the children as long as they are under 18.

Will this happen automatically or do I need to apply for it. I don't believe it affects my pay but my pay is used as the percentage they give to them.

Anyone have any insight on this?

3 answers to this question

jbasser is correct . but if one of your kids is still under 18, they get (or you) the benefit amount your 18 yr old used to get until the younger one turns 18.Then there's get cut off too. Unless they are in a secondary school fulltime (high school ) . then the benefit continues till they graduate.

Sgt Sandman

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to apply for the SS dependent benefit. You should also contact the court and ask that the SS payment be accepted as your child support payment and that you not have to pay the support payment, while the SS payment is being made. jmo

pr