VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Personality Disorder But Treated For Anxiety/depression

Rate this question

willidx4

Question

I am currently service connected at 30% for irritable bowels and 10% for my right knee. I was diagnosed with PTSD by a private doc however the VA said I had a sever personality disorder (NOS). The VA is now treating me with meds for depression and anxiety. I visited my doc today and asked how is it that I had personality disorder yet I am being treated for anxiety and depression. I was informed by him that the diagnosis of personality disorder was (NOS) meaning the VA was not sure if I had a personality disorder or not. So my question is do I continue to pursue the PTSD claim or should I submit a claim for anxiety/depression based on the fact the VA is treating me with meds for anxiety/depression

• HadIt.com Elder

You know during and after Vietnam the Army discharged thousands of PTSD vets as personality disorders. No compensation for PD. My VARO disagreed and said schizophrenia and I got compensated at 10% level. Both DX'es were wrong. One included compensation and the other no compensation. I filed within one year of discharge. I think with your honorable discharge and CAB you should get PTSD claim, but all the mental conditions are rated the same. PTSD is actually one of the harder DX'es because of the list of symptoms on checklist.

Just to dig this up one more time :huh: Can I file a claim for depression instead of ptsd. My VA doc is treating me for depression and anxiety so it seems that would be the easiest route if its even a possibility. I'm currently SC at %10 for my right knee and %30 IBS.

Yes. You can claim for the depression / anxiety you are being treated for. You could also get a statement from the private doctor stating it is more likely than not connected to your service. The payment rate would depend on the level it effects you more than the label they put on it. And yes, watch out for the VA's tendency to want to label things as a personality disorder. They do that for a reason.

Just to dig this up one more time :huh: Can I file a claim for depression instead of ptsd. My VA doc is treating me for depression and anxiety so it seems that would be the easiest route if its even a possibility. I'm currently SC at %10 for my right knee and %30 IBS.

You can. Its what you are going to be able to prove. With depression, I can honestly say that is the safest route. With physical disabilities you are going to wind up being depressed because of what you can and can't do because of your illness and/or injuries. With PTSD if you have the necessary stressors, and write environment to prove it in your service medical records then I would pursue it as well. Usually on your DD214 it will give you what you need. Oh and if you received hazard duty pay and imminent danger pay that is a great prerequisite Regardless of what you do or pursue, the VA will only rate one mental condition. That is all. If it's multifaceted and unable to be separated to each condition that is irrelevant. You have a rateable mental condition that occurred in service. If they try to say that it was preexisting, refer to your entrance physical, if it wasn't annotated then you were good to go, fit for duty, no problems, no blemishes. Even if you had a mental condition and its mentioned, the argument there would be did your service make it worse. You might need IME/IMO but that is how you would fight that. JMHO.

Thanks ArNG11 I think you are right con concerning the depression over the ptsd. The thing that gets me is I have a documented stressor combat action and have been diagnosed but the VA is sticking by the Personality disorder. Do you know if I need to claim the depression as secondary to my physical issues?

Honestly you can go that route. With disabilities, service connected disabilities depression will eventually ensue. The kicker is service medical records and cotemporary records of treatment for depression. Personality disorders are a way out for the VA to pay for compensation. Mind you this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. However, you find me a mental condition that doesn't affect a persons personality. It is not possible.

You can claim depression as secondary. IMO though you are going to need a medical nexus stating that, either from an MD or a mental health professional. I would go with the latter. However, which ever way you go claim or no claim get the help you need. That is important. If you are going to last in this horrible game you are going to need your wits about you.