VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Notification From Case Worker?

Rate this question

Snake Eyes

Question

I got a mysterious phone message from the original case worker who said she had "information about your claim and I need a birth certificate from one of your children".

Since it's a Friday after local SSA office has closed, I'm curious about a few things:

1. Does the original caseworker call applicants to let them know a claim has been approved or denied?

2. Would they need children's birth certs for a claim that has not yet been decided (or has been denied)?

Neither of my kids are applicants, so I"m guessing they would need that in case I receive an award and want to apply for benefits for my wife and kids.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Snake,

That appears to be the case. Maybe they are just covering their based, just in case.

Good luck on your claim!

• HadIt.com Elder

Your kids will get half of the amount that you get if you are awarded SSD. I would be positive and provide what they want as soon as I could.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

What Pete said. Imagine if you didn't have those bases covered and you had to wait who knows how long for them to retroactively pay...

The case worker is really upbeat and calls herself "Hope" -- she says, because she likes to give her clients hope. :-)

I'll be in her neck of the woods Monday so will try to connect and get the documents too her. Maybe she can clear up the mystery then. Meanwhile, I'll have all the birth certs and our Wedding cert just in case any of those are needed. Better to be prepared just in case.