Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

I'm Unsure What To Do?

Rate this question

coastie72

Question

I have two claims pending, one for depression secondary to tinnitus and another for PTSD (recurrent dreams nightmares).

I have seen a VA psychiatrist, twice, and answered questions that he asked , but that was a direct result of contact with the Veterans Crisis Line, as I have suicidal ideations and still do. We hardly spoke at all about my PTSD issues, though to me I feel it is all connected. I am still waiting and finally have an appointment with a social worker that is going to set up therapy.

In Ebenifits they are asking for more information for the PTSD claim. So I went to see my DAV SO to ask how to respond. My SO was not in, so I spoke with someone else that told me not to do anything?

Is he right? He said that I had a Fully Developed Claim and I should just ignore this;

We need specific details of the personal trauma incident(s) that resulted in post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It is important that you read the following information and respond to our request within 30 days from the date of this letter. If you do not respond, VA may deny your claim.< br />< br />* Complete and return the enclosed questionnaire. We realize that this may be a difficult subject for you to discuss, but the information will be safeguarded and used only in support of your claim. If you are not able to provide the exact date of the incident, please indicate the location and approximate time (a 2-month specific date range) of the stressful event(s) in question.< br />* Give us reports of private physicians, if any, who have treated you for this condition since discharge. The reports should include clinical findings and diagnosis. If you have been treated for this condition at a VA medical facility, furnish the date(s) and place(s). We will obtain the report(s).< br />* If you have been treated in the Vet Center, tell us the dates of treatment and the address of the Vet Center. We will request the records.< br />(*) Identify any possible sources of information and evidence such as police reports or medical treatment records for assault or rape.< br />* Send us supporting statements from any individuals with whom you may have discussed the incident. Furnish copies of correspondence you may have sent to close friends or relatives in which you related information about the incident.< br />* If you did not discuss the incident with anyone, send us supporting statements from service persons, friends, family or clergy who may have observed any changes in your behavior as it may have related to the incident.

Date Requested: 11/08/2014
Due Date: 12/08/2014

The claim is in the Gathering of Evidence stage, so is he right or do I need to respond?

• HadIt.com Elder

If it were an FDC claim, they shouldn't need more info. I feel you should respond, by 12/08/2014. I have a Coastie, in my group, don't know his ship(boat) but he was in VN and he's being denied because they can't/won't verify his stressor. He and I have been in the same group(s), off and on, since the early 90's. There's no doubt he has PTSD but his problem is he's a county court officer/sheriff, working per diem and the department knows he's very responsible, so when they're short staffed, they call him. He also doesn't want to lose his right to carry stuff.

In your case, you should definitely respond by 12/08/2014, or they'll probably deny your claim. jmo

pr

What ship were you on?

A VA form 21-0781 (Statement in Support of Claim For Service Connection (PTSD) was submitted along with my claim through the DAV. The information submitted on the form was specific as to the CG Boat I was on, the date and detailed description of the incident. I was told by the DAV SO that is helping me that was all I needed to do. He said I did not need to go into detail of the problems that it has caused me as that would be done when I had a C&P.

In addition to what was submitted, I have personnel records that put me on the boat at the time of the incident as well as newspaper accounts that describe the incident.

I am hesitant to upload that information, 1. because the DAV SO said I did not need to and, 2. I have read so many post by others that say they will not upload any information on to Ebenifits.

I am listening to All Advice.

Coastie: Your FDC is only an FDC as long as the VA Evidence Section doesn't determine that additional evidence is needed. Your FDC can become a RAC (Regular Ass Claim) based on the VA's determination of needing additional evidence to support your claim. I've had (2) FDC's that were completed within (5) months in 2014. My RAC's in 2008& 2012 took 11/2 yrs each to get decisions on and still had to appeal.

Soooooooo, bite the bullet and send in what ever "evidence" they are requesting. If you don't have it, get it. If it helps them make the right decision the 1st time, your a winner. If you get denied due to failure to submit requested evidence, your in appeal land and there is no FDC Appeal. You could be looking at 2+ years to get a DRO Hearing and still need to present the requested Evidence as "New & Material."

Semper Fi

Gastone

Coastie: Your FDC is only an FDC as long as the VA Evidence Section doesn't determine that additional evidence is needed. Your FDC can become a RAC (Regular Ass Claim) based on the VA's determination of needing additional evidence to support your claim. I've had (2) FDC's that were completed within (5) months in 2014. My RAC's in 2008& 2012 took 11/2 yrs each to get decisions on and still had to appeal.

Soooooooo, bite the bullet and send in what ever "evidence" they are requesting. If you don't have it, get it. If it helps them make the right decision the 1st time, your a winner. If you get denied due to failure to submit requested evidence, your in appeal land and there is no FDC Appeal. You could be looking at 2+ years to get a DRO Hearing and still need to present the requested Evidence as "New & Material."

Semper Fi

Gastone

Thank you Gastone,

I will upload everything I have, what you are saying makes sence to me. I have not received any mail from them, only what I copied and pasted from Ebenifits. So from this line I have nothing to fill out; Complete and return the enclosed questionnaire. Where do I get this questionnaire from?

Should I have my wife write a letter as she is really the only person I have ever told about my dreams other than the Dr. and nurses at the VA.

Trust me I want to do all this right the first time,

Coastie

Edited by coastie72