VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will Seeing A Civilian Dr Get Me In Trouble

Rate this question

krisknuckle

Question

I'm rated at 80% PTSD Tinnitus and headaches . Recently got SSDI and would like to seek help from civilian side without messing up my VA COMP . I want more answers than what the va is giving will goin to outside dr look bad on me and what do I do about medications don't want to mix meds and such

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

There is a potential problem if you are being prescribed narcotics, and possibly other

"mood altering" drugs. Other than that, and really important, It's prudent to keep both Dr's informed as to your prescription details.

Failing to do so can kill you!. At the very least make sure that the outside doctor is informed and in agreement

with whatever the VA is prescribing.

Chances are that the outside doctor is more qualified than the VA doctor for many things.

PTSD is a current "Hot Button" for everyone!

I have outside doctors that the VA is aware of, and recently issued a "consult"

to one for specialty service. When an outside doctor issues a prescription, I usually have

the first months dosages filled outside, and take a copy of the prescription

to the VA for refills.

krisknuckle,

In addition to the great suggestions above, provide your VA PCP with copies of any reports from your civilian doctors which show continuity of treatment of your service connected conditions and also copies of reports on any conditions which might become service connected in the future. I usually see my PCP once a year for my annual physical and she scans my civilian medical reports into my VA medical records. My PCP seems to appreciate me providing her with copies of my civilian medical reports so she does not have to contact the doctors to request the reports.

I also provide her with an updated medication list and a summary of any changes in my medical history. She said this saves her time because she is able to compete her questionnaire with the info I provide. I have also noticed that my VA PCP reports of my annual physical seem to be more accurate since I have started providing my PCP with report copies and written lists of medication and medical history changes. JMO

• HadIt.com Elder

krisknuckle,

In addition to the great suggestions above, provide your VA PCP with copies of any reports from your civilian doctors which show continuity of treatment of your service connected conditions and also copies of reports on any conditions which might become service connected in the future. I usually see my PCP once a year for my annual physical and she scans my civilian medical reports into my VA medical records. My PCP seems to appreciate me providing her with copies of my civilian medical reports so she does not have to contact the doctors to request the reports.

I also provide her with an updated medication list and a summary of any changes in my medical history. She said this saves her time because she is able to compete her questionnaire with the info I provide. I have also noticed that my VA PCP reports of my annual physical seem to be more accurate since I have started providing my PCP with report copies and written lists of medication and medical history changes. JMO

I do something similar as well. However, there can be times when you don't want to share information as well. The why and wherefore has to do with assumptions that might be made, and someone taking off on a tangent to the real issues at hand. That also has to do with who is treating for what. Even so, any prescription information should be shared, unless it's well known that there are no conflicts. As I previously mentioned, I do have the VA supply long term prescriptions, due mainly to cost.

Currently, since I don't know how long I'll be using a couple of outside prescribed medications, (and they are the $4 variety) I'll wait on them until I'm sure that they will be worth the hassle involved in getting them from the VA.

An example that can get you in medical trouble without coordination might be that some VA and non VA physicians prescribe "warfarin" to reduce blood clotting. There are other alternatives and partially overlapping medications that are approved on the VA's list. Warfarin (Coumadin) is a long standing inexpensive treatment, and not a few physicians prescribe it. On the other hand, my cardiologist tends to not use it if at all possible, if for no other reason than many of the alternatives in combination with or without low dose aspirin can achieve the same or better results without the need for scheduled routine clotting testing. Taking warfarin combined with some other commonly used medications for more or less the same thing can easily result in serious danger.

Edited by Chuck75

Krisk: What they said, ditto.

My 3 cents. Been seeing VA and outside Drs since 2008. You sign some HIPPA forms and VA can provide your private care Dr all info. As for RX. I get all my RX's from VA. If you get an outside Dr's RX, take it to your VA PC Dr. No big deal, just paper work, but the price is right. If you get a RX for a VA Non Formulary RX you have 2 choices. You can try the VA Formulary or ask your Private Dr to specify "no substitutions." I've done it a couple times. VA buys what your DR prescribes and mails it to you. Just a little bit more work.

Regarding your PTSD. I went to Private PTSD Psychologist PHD back in early 2008. He told me he thought I had PTSD but would need about 12 months or 48 sessions to get to the point he would be comfortable issuing a PTSD DX. I went to him for sleep issues and after 3 months discontinued, $$ and interest. wasn't helping my sleep problems. In 2010 a VA Sleep Clinician that I had had a few appointments with, advised me that he thought I had sever PTSD and directed me to VA Mental Health. Within a couple weeks I was in PTSD Group therapy had filed for PTSD and had a PTSD C&P. 3 months later I was awarded 70% SC. My position is, I got a hell of a lot more help for PTSD from VA and 21/2 years of group therapy with other Nam Vets than I did from 3 months twice a week sessions with private clinician. I could have jerked around for another year or so and spent about $2500 for outside therapy. At no time did the Private Clinician ever suggest that I needed a SA exam to address the sleep issues.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use